5

Amberlyn's pov ***

   Oh hell! His niece and nephews are adorable! Even outspoken! Now I'm facing Sara! She's petite, with a huge personality.

     Sara starts cooking biscuits. "So! You are the girl who my brother has been watching over for years." It wasn't a question. So I don't answer. "What makes you think that you are good enough for Ashton?" She asked as she put bacon on the heat.

  "I don't think that I am good enough for Ashton. Nobody is. I had no idea that he was still around. Much less watching me. Of course I knew that someone was watching my back. When a big event was happening. Or I had a big decision to make. I would get a note, phone call, or text. It would help me through. The person never even hinted who they were. I found out last night, that it was Ashton. I can never express my gratitude  to him, or for him, enough." I flipped the pancakes. "Can I be blunt?"

  Sara was actually paying attention to me as she was cooking. I'm used to people who only act as if my opinion matters. Nice! "I insist on honesty. Speak as bluntly as you need to. Nothing shocks me any more."

  "Ashton and Carlton were just always there. They were my best friends and confidants. We were inseparable. My parents hated it! Ashton and I were friends with benefits. He wanted more, I didn't." I pull the pancakes off and added more. "When he disappeared, I realized that I was in love with him. I was too late. I was raped by a teacher and my life spiraled out of control. The one thing that I missed the most was my Ashton. I loved him then. I will always love him. Whether he stays with me or decides that I'm too much trouble. He owns my heart. I will protect him as he has always protected me."

  "I like you! Don't let me down! I will protect my family. If that means killing someone, I won't have a second thought on it. Did Ashton tell you about how I came to be here?"

  "He said that your ex brought you here, then beat you. He said that your husband saved you and you fell in love."

  Sara's smile was beautiful. "My mother left my dad. I was raised by him. He died just after I graduated high school. My boyfriend moved himself and some friends into my house. I was beaten daily. I was raped daily. All because I would not open a safe. My mother found out that my dad had money in the safe and she wanted it. My boyfriend just happened to be her step- grandson. Paxton saved me that day that Ronald brought me here. Then I found out that Ashton and Carlton are my brothers. I was in heaven! They are all rough around the edges, but they have huge hearts of gold. I will always protect them. Don't make me shoot you. I'm a marksman."

  We dished up all of the food. "No need to bring out the guns. I don't know how he feels about me." I carry some of the food to the table. "The ball is in his hands. If he happens to throw it to me, I'll catch it. As I said, I love Ashton Harris with my entire being."

  "Great! I wish you luck. You're gonna need it." She said as we finished putting the food on the table. "I hope that you can cook. This bunch eats more than their share." Sara turned to the bar area. "Let's eat!"

  Every body came quickly. It was almost a stampede! I got my first look at Jackson and Carlton Harris, in ten years.

  Jackson looked the same, except for the wheelchair... and a few grey hair.

  Carlton has grown up like Ashton, almost unrecognizable. Tall, long dark hair, muscular, tattoos on his neck and arms. The twinkle was still in his eyes. The same twinkle that had been missing in Ashton's. Carlton was pushing Jackson as the kids were riding in his lap.

  "Hello Amberlyn! How are you?" Carlton asked.

  "Better now than I have been in a long time! How are you doing, Car?"