15

The next morning Ash drives me to work and Paxton follows us in his jeep. They go to pick up Ashton's bike. He tells me that they will be back at five o'clock to take me home.

   At around one o'clock the lights for the entire building goes out. I lock my door and watch out of my window as everyone gathers and talks. My phone rings and I automatically answer it before realizing that it is my agency phone. "Hello?"

  "Amberlyn! This is Jackson. How are you doing? Don't say my name."

  "I'm doing ok, bossman! How are you?"

    "I'm calling to let you know that you have trouble headed your way. Mueller is trying to get to you. The boys are on their way. Stay in your office with a locked door. Go to the bathroom and lock it if possible. Only if you have one in your office." The fire alarm sounds and people start going down stairs.

  "The lights went out about ten minutes ago. So my door is locked. I have closed the blinds too. I have a bathroom. It can go into a supply closet that has no other entry. It locks too. I will be in there." I tell him as I grab my briefcase and bag. Then I head for the bathroom. I will stay in there until I hear someone at the outer door.

  "Good job! That is why we hired you! You are brilliant! Let me relay that to the boys."

  "We got it bossman! Amberlyn, do you have your pistol?" Viking asked me.

  "You know it! I have it ready just like you showed me." I told him proudly.

  "Perfect!"

    My other cell phone rang. "Michelle is calling me. I'm going to answer it so she doesn't worry." I put it on speaker. "Hey Michelle!"

  "Thank goodness! Where are you? People are looking for you."

  "Tell her that you are outside safely." I hear Paxton. I thought quickly.

  "Oh I decided to go to lunch with Ashton. Why? What's up?"

  "Good job, 99!" Jackson said.

  "Oh ok! Its just that the lights went out, then the fire alarm started going off. We have evacuated the building. Although nobody has seen or smelled any smoke."

  "Oh wow! I guess that I will take my time with lunch."

  "She's at lunch with her man." I heard Michelle say to someone.

  "Who are you talking to?"

  "A fireman was asking if you had gotten out." Why would a fireman ask for me personally?

  "Oh ok." I acted like Ashton was kissing on me. "Ashton stop! I'm on the phone. We can continue in a minute."

  "Oh wow! I didn't mean to interrupt your lunch. I'll see you later." Michelle said as she hung up.

  I made sure my phone was off before speaking to the boys. "Did y'all hear that? A fireman was asking about me."

   "We heard. We are coming in the back way. Almost up to your floor." Ashton said.

  "I hope you're using the stairs. After all, the alarm is sounding." I joked. I thought that I heard someone wiggle my door. "Shhhh! I think that I heard something." I whisper. Someone hit the door with a fist. I close the bathroom door and went into the supply closet. "Someone is trying to get into my office." I whisper again. "I'm in the supply closet and its locked. Plus I'm putting a broom through the handle."

  "Good job, 99. The boys have gone into quiet mode, but they can hear you. I'm watching them on body cam." He was quiet, but so was I. I can hear them bust the door open to my office.