Chapter 13

"SURPRISE!"

Okay... What?

Standing before me, holding banners and balloons and different colorful objects, were my colleagues at work. I noticed Javier amongst them with a huge smile on his face as he waved a flag. I looked up directly above me and there was a picture of my face on a golden banner that read: 'Congrats Muna!'. Confetti was falling from the sky, large tooting sounds were playing in my ears. Music was blasting from the speakers.

What the actual hell?

"Congratulations love," Miss Rose whispered in my ear.

I felt her warm breath tickle me. The loud sounds of people yelling random things out surrounded me, and I could only just work out what Miss Rose had said.

I turned my face up to look at her.

"For what?" I practically yelled to make myself heard above the screaming, "why are you congratulating me? Why is everybody congratulating me? What is going on?"

Miss Rose smiled at me slyly before disappearing into the crowd.

What the hell?

"Muna," Javier shouted appearing out of nowhere, "this is amazing!"

He suddenly engulfed me in a hug, spinning me round in the process. I found myself smiling, then laughing. This felt so refreshing. Everything had been so tense between us since that night on the retreat, but that didn't seem to matter at all right now.

"Javier," I said between breaths, "what's going on? Has everyone finally lost their minds?"

Javier rolled his eyes at me but there was a smile on his face, "Gosh, must I spell it out for you Muna?"

"Um, yes. You do just that."

Javier laughed hard and shook his head before reaching over to me and screaming into my ear in order for me to hear him above the music.

"You're officially Miss Rose's PA. No-one else has ever lasted as her PA this long. The fire-breathing dragon herself organized this surprise party for you. I think that pretty much goes to say that you're here to stay."

It took me a while to figure out that the fire-breathing dragon was a reference to Miss Rose. But yeah, it made sense.

I looked at Javier in shock, mingled in with outright confusion.

"This is a HUGE deal." Javier said laughing at the look on my face, "but you don't seem to realize. Miss Rose has been planning this all week. She made us all keep quiet about it, she even threatened to fire anybody that leaked anything about this party to you."

Woah, I thought to myself as I felt my heart flutter slightly in my chest. Javier smiled down at me happily. As he had said, I really did not realize how big of a deal this apparently was.

Throughout the course of the night numerous people came up to congratulate me, a lot of which being people I had not met before. Music was playing throughout and I was dancing with anyone and everyone. Alcoholic drinks were being passed out throughout the night and I lost track of my alcohol intake. It reached the point where I couldn't even taste it anymore. I felt so happy and grateful to Miss Rose in that moment. I had been working really hard at this job, trying not to get fired.

At some point in the night I came across a huge cake with my face on it, surrounded by cupcakes with my face on them as well. I laughed at how cheesy but cute the entire situation was. I seemed unable to stop smiling... I was just so happy.

"Well, I guess you did last after all." A familiar voice said from behind me.

I had been dancing amongst a random group of people and paused, turning around. My vision cleared, and in front of me was Caroline. She had on a plastic smile on her face and her eyes were scanning my body with their usual level of disgust.

"Oh Caroline," I said, almost laughing at the sight of her, "fancy seeing you here."

She took a few steps forward till she was face-to-face with me. Images flashed in my brain of Caroline with Miss Rose, and I instantly felt sick to my stomach.

"Don't feel too special," Caroline whispered into my ear, "try not to get too comfortable either."

To onlookers, it probably appeared as if we were just dancing together rather than the reality, Caroline whispering weak threats into my ear.

"You know something," I said looking up into her eyes, I could feel myself slowly losing touch with reality as the alcohol grasped to take over what last bit of clarity I had left, "jealousy is a disease bitch. Get well soon."

Caroline's eyes flared up as she looked at me in intense shock and rage. I giggled to myself at my corny one-liner. Gathering the tiny control I had left of my body, I got myself away from Caroline as quickly as I could. I was still laughing as I pushed my body through the mob of people.

"Hey." I felt firm hands on my waist. I turned around, already knowing who it was.

Miss Rose was standing behind me with a small smile on her face, concern etched into her brows, "are you okay, Muna?"

I giggled as my heart swooned hearing her say my name. It was obvious I was a little too drunk; I was also hyper aware of her hands clutching unto me.

"I'm perfect." I said, more like slurred.

I was smiling up at her with a goofy grin on my face, I could barely stand straight. And more concern crept into Miss Rose's face.

"I think you're a little drunk, darling."

I was a lot more than a little drunk.

The music was blaring all around us, but all I could focus on was Miss Rose. I could feel the heat from her body radiating unto mine, it engulfed me in her scent. I buried my head in her chest, immediately feeling her body stiffen a little.

"Okay Muna, I think it's best we get you home."

I felt Miss Rose's hand come up and carefully stroke my back. The hairs at the back of my neck were standing up, reacting to her every touch. I didn't want to move. I just wanted to stay in her arms like this. I didn't care that we were standing in the middle of the dance floor.

My head was spinning rapidly, I really did have too much to drink. I felt myself being led out of the room; the music growing fainter behind me. I could still smell Miss Rose's scent all around me, so I didn't care, as long as I was with her.

My legs slowly gave way beneath me, and I felt myself being lifted. I snuggled my head closer to the woman I had grown so drawn to these past few weeks. I shut my eyes and let myself be taken away.