Chapter 18

I had completely forgotten about Caroline. She might as well have ceased to exist. She honestly had not crossed my mind once since that night at the party. But now, as I watched her standing in my apartment, every encounter I had ever had with her came rushing through my mind.

There were so many questions flying through my head, so many thoughts that I couldn't place. However, what seemed to come out to me the hardest was the little voice at the back of my head telling me I was in danger.

I couldn't make a run for it. Caroline was standing directly in front of my apartment door, blocking the only exit that I had. I glanced around and saw my phone that was lying on the floor not too far away from where I was. I could grab it and call for help before Caroline reached me.

"Don't even think about it," Caroline said as if reading my mind. I don't know how I hadn't noticed it earlier. The gleam of silver, the sharp edge; Caroline was holding a knife in her hand.

My head was spinning so fast and I began to tremble. My eyes were glued to the knife in her hand.

"What do you want Caroline?" I heard myself ask, but it didn't seem like it was me speaking but somebody else.

"Relax," Caroline said, dragging out the word. She began pacing in front of me, "nobody needs to get hurt. In fact, I don't even want to hurt you that would just cause complications."

Caroline traced the knife in her palm as she began to inspect it. She looked up from the knife, locking eyes with me, and I immediately knew I was looking into the eyes of a Psychopath.

"I'm here to offer you a choice, Muna. But first, let me give you some background context..."

She stopped pacing and now stood in front of me, staring at the ground.

"You see, before you got here, Anastasia and I had a working relationship." She paused and looked at me, "I admit. It probably was not the healthiest of relationships, I recognize that this so-called relationship was majorly 'one sided' on my part, but I managed to accept that. I managed to live with that. It even worked for the both of us."

She had begun pacing once again, dragging the tip of the knife blade down her arms.

My legs shook violently. My throat was parched as I stared at Caroline unblinkingly.

Caroline continued: "All of a sudden you came around and things were different-not in a good way. Anastasia didn't want to spend time with me anymore. The few times we were together, she talked about you for the majority of the time. Did you know that fucking evening you walked in on us in her office was the last time she ever touched me? I mean, if I had known it was going to be the last time, maybe I would have savored it more, but I couldn't even do that because you had to ruin it!"

Caroline's face had gone a bright red and her eyes were ablaze.

I didn't think it was possible for me to still be alive with how fast my heart was beating.

"Anyway," Caroline began again, the tone of her voice was dangerously calm, "I gave the whole thing the benefit of the doubt and just imagined it was Anastasia being...you know, Anastasia. But then she threw that goddamn party for you and I realized I had underestimated you, I realized you were actually a threat. But here's where it gets even better..."

Caroline stopped talking and licked her lips before smiling sinisterly at me and continuing.

"Just yesterday, Anastasia shows up at my house and do you know what she says? She basically tells me she wants nothing to do with me. She had been ignoring all my calls, ignoring all my texts, and she showed up at my house. So here I was, thinking she had finally come to her senses. But what does she say? She says she wants nothing to do with me." Caroline chuckles, her eyes flashing angrily, and she turns to me. "Can you believe that? She said she wants nothing to do with me!"