Chapter 31

I sat up groggily.

I couldn't feel anything, I couldn't really see anything either. Everything looked blurry and sounded muffled.

I could only tell that I was in a vehicle of some sorts. There were two men sitting in front of me, but they both had their faces covered in what appeared to be ski-masks.

"Hey." I said blinking, "who are you?"

The men suddenly turned back and looked at me. The one driving said something to the other guy, who took something out of his pocket and moved it towards me. As it got closer, I realized what it was: a syringe. In my hazy mind, I suddenly realized what was going on.

I tried to struggle, but I could barely move.

I began screaming, and a hand was clasped over my mouth. I felt a sharp pain in my left arm and I knew the injection had been put into me. My screaming began to sound far away. I began to feel detached; I blinked a couple of times, then my eyes shut firmly.

My eyes abruptly opened. I was staring at my feet; I was dressed in my usual uncomfortable work heels. I raised my head slowly and blinked. Then I blinked again. It appeared I was in what looked like a shed made out of wood. It was small, and the only light coming in was the sunlight from outside. At this point there was still no panic, rather, I was in an eerie sort of calm state of mind as I took in my surroundings.

That's when I became aware of my inability to move. I looked down and my world literally stopped. I was in an uncomfortable wooden chair and I couldn't move. I couldn't stand up.

I looked back down at my feet. My legs were tied together by a rope at the ankles. I looked at it in shock, wondering how I had not noticed that there before. I tried to move my hands, which were behind me on the chair, before I realized my wrists were tied too. There was a moment of calm, my head was blank, I didn't react. And then the full force of realization hit me. I suddenly remembered being on a FaceTime call with Amanda and the figure that was looming behind me. I suddenly remembered the men in ski-masks.

The panic seeped in.

"Help!" I screamed as loudly as I could. I was thrashing around in my seat, desperately trying to get out. Desperately trying to set myself free, it wasn't working.

"Help, please! Somebody help!" I yelled as loudly as I could.

I struggled in my seat for a little while longer. My breathing was heavy, I suddenly realized I had another rope tied around my waist which secured me to the chair. I suddenly stopped struggling and looked down at myself. I took in my surroundings, trying to possibly make out where I was. There was little to nothing to take in, and there was little to nothing to make out.

What the fuck was happening?

A door suddenly opened with a loud creak from the front of the shed-like room. I had not noticed said door before; it seemed like I couldn't notice anything. My thoughts were instantly interrupted as two men with their faces covered in ski-masks suddenly emerged from the darkness behind the doors. I instantly recognized them as the same men from before. They were dressed from head to toe in black. My heart rate quickened at an incredible speed as they walked towards me.

The shorter man took a seat in the chair a few feet away from mine. I hadn't noticed the chair. I was in such a high state of panic that there were so many details in the room that my mind had simply skipped over.

Be alert, Muna.

I suddenly felt an immobilizing pain in my head. I suddenly felt really weak, I realized that it was still the effect of whatever drug it was that had been injected inside me.

"Wow." The man in the chair suddenly said. He had been studying me silently this whole time. "The drug really knocked you out all night. We were scared for a moment that you were already gone."

What was he talking about? All night? I had been here overnight?

That was the least of the thoughts in my head. Something else was running through my mind, a different thought. It was hard for me to place exactly what this thought was in my fatigued state.

"Who are you and what do you want with me?" I asked, glaring into the eyes of the man in the seat. Those eyes. There was something about those eyes.

I turned to look at the second man who just stood beside him, not saying anything, not making any sort of move whatsoever.

"Well, my dear Muna." the man said, bringing my attention back to him, "It's not necessarily you I want. But what it is that I can achieve through you that is more of the motive."

There was something at the back of my head trying to tell me something, I just couldn't place it. My head hurt, I was fucking weak. But yet, there was this nagging feeling.

How the fuck did this man know my name?

What on Earth was going on?!

"I'm surprised you weren't able to tell yet." The man suddenly said, "did I leave such little of an impression on you?"

I watched in immerse shock as the man reached up and took off his ski-mask, revealing none other than Malcolm. I stared at him, blinking a couple times.

Malcolm grinned at me, a sly, sinister grin, "I had told you I'd see you soon."

Once again, I began thrashing around in my seat as much as I could. I began screaming again and Malcolm just laughed at me. There was genuine amusement in his eyes as he watched me.

"There's no point Muna." He said, leaning back and putting his hands behind his head, "no-one is going to save you. Nobody is going to hear you."

I stared at him as my chest rose and fell in short intervals. I couldn't fully comprehend what was happening right now.

"What do you want, you sick fuck!" I spat at him. I mustered all my energy into sounding as aggressive as I could.

He laughed at me in reply. "Are you hungry?"

I looked at him like he had finally lost his mind.

"I mean... I imagine that you're hungry." Malcolm said smiling at me, "after all, you probably haven't had a meal in almost 20 hours."

I instantly realized just how much I was starving. I hated this. My tummy ached, and I bent over as I squeezed my eyes shut.

"That's a pity." Malcolm said with zero sympathy whatsoever in his tone, "you're going to have to go another night hungry, I suppose."

"Let me the fuck out of here!" I yelled as once again I began struggling in my chair, I knew it was absolutely no use. But I struggled regardless for a few more seconds before I sat there limply, panting furiously.

"What a shame." Malcolm said blankly, "but don't worry. Everything will be revealed to you in due time."

He turned to the other guy and nodded at him. I watched weakly as he walked towards me, revealing a syringe from behind his back. I wanted to fight. I wanted to scream once again, but I couldn't. Instead, I sat there fixated as the materials of the syringe were injected into my veins. I struggled against it, desperately trying not to give in. To stay alert. To scream.

"Night, night Muna," Malcolm said, and once again, my world went dark.