Chapter 20

☀︎︎☀︎︎☀︎︎

☀︎︎☀︎︎☀︎︎

Sophie knew it wasn't going to go well.

She read the warning signs.

She knew what could happen.

But here she was, in her shimmering dress, about to enter the gym, where the dance was set up.

Biana had promised a good time. But nothing ever really goes Sophie's way. Her life after her parents died was a prime example.

Sophie stood in line with Biana for their tickets. According to Biana, Marella was already in, and waiting on them with Dex.

Fitz had also left the girls, claiming he had 'somewhere to be'. Sophie didn't take it to mean much, unlike Biana, who looked almost skeptical when he left in a hurry. She probably brushed it off by now, due the fact that she looked completely fine now.

Once they made it to the front of the line, Biana swiftly collected their tickets, and soon the duo were making their way around the maze of high school students attempting to find Marella and Dex.

After several minutes of looking around, Sophie spotted Marella sitting a table near the back, which was emptier than the rest of the gym.

Strangely, Dex was no where near Marella. Wherever he was, she didn't know.

Marella waved at them both, signaling to come over to sit. Biana smiled back, and started for the table. Sophie was about to follow, until someone caught her eye.

She recognized the strawberry blonde hair almost instantly, and hesitated before calling to Biana, who was currently walking ahead of her.

"Hey Biana, I'll be there in a minute. I just need to stop by the snack bar real quick." she spoke fairly quickly.

Biana raised an eyebrow, then nodded. "Okay then, just don't screw anything up Soph." she joked.

Sophie just rolled her eyes, and turned around, walking towards Dex, who was also conveniently by the snack bar. At least her hastily made lie wasn't entirely untrue.

Sophie walked up from behind him, and tapped on his shoulder, wondering what could be wrong. She mentally made a list of what the problem could be.

And sadly, that list was currently empty.

Dex abruptly spinner around, surprised to find his friend behind him. It was obvious he was not too happy at that moment. The crease between his eyebrows helped that theory.

Sophie frowned, obviously worried. "What's wrong, Dex? Marella was sitting alone waiting for Biana and I."

Dex simply sighed, and shrugged. "I don't know, I'm just feeling nervous I guess."