Hagrids Hut

When Notte returned from the library, her eyes were bloodshot. The commons were full of Gryffindors. Harry moved over on the couch so that she could sit between him and Ron. She was clutching Harry's cloak in her hands. McGonagall walked into the commons and opened a scroll.
"Could I have your attention please? Because of recent events, these new rules will be put into effect immediately. "All students will return to their house common rooms by six o'clock every evening. All students will be escorted to each lesson by a teacher. No exceptions." I should tell you this: unless the culprit behind these attacks is caught, it is likely the school will be closed." McGonagall closed the scroll slowly, and gave her students a sad smile before departing. The students all murmured to each other quietly. Hermione was on the tips of everyones tongue.
"We've got to talk to Hagrid, Ron. I can't believe it's him, but if he did set the monster loose last time, he'll know how to get inside the Chamber of Secrets, and that's a start." Harry said quietly to Ron and Notte. Notte lifted up the cloak with a bitter smile.
"We go tonight boys- and heads will roll by morning." Notte got up, handing the cloak to Harry.
"She's blaming herself." Harry said watching her step over first years to get up the stairs.
"Well- she is the one who was supposed to be doing it. Wasn't she?" Ron said quietly, looking at Notte worriedly. Neville came down from the boys dorm in a panic.
"Harry- I don't know who did it, but you'd better come! Come on!" Neville gestured to the boys who looked at each other before following behind Neville quickly. When they entered the dorm- Harrys and Ron's beds had been ransacked, their clothes and books littered the floor.
"Who did it?" Ron looked at Harry who shook his head slowly.
"I don't know Ron- They must've been looking for something." Harry said looking through his things quickly.
"And they found it." Harry said going slightly pale. "Riddle's diary- its gone!" Ron looked at Harry seriously while Neville stood nervously in the corner.
"Boys- what did you do to your room?" Notte suddenly came from around the door- stopping in her tracks surveying the carnage.
"Someone took Riddle's diary." Harry said standing up.
"That means- Riddle at the very least knew something. Only a Gryffindor could've done this- no one else has the password." Notte said examining the room.
"That only narrows it down to about a quarter of the school- fantastic!" Ron said sarcastically and Notte glared at him.
"That means it was most likely a student- meaning," Notte shot a quick look at Harry.
"Meaning a Gryffindor is opening the Chamber- not Hagrid." Notte said and she bit her lip.
"Its still not enough- we still have to go see if Hagrid knows anything." Harry said. Notte nodded.
"Its better than waiting for the next attack- isn't it?" Notte said and looked at Neville.
"Neville- I need you to do something for me."
Notte suddenly turned to the boy. Notte was feeling different- earlier she felt confident. Now she was determined. Now she felt almost dangerous to anyone, or anything that got in her way.
"Er- yes." Neville stammered.
"Don't tell a soul what you've heard here. For Hermione- the teachers aren't going to do anything. Again. We have to take matters into our own hands tonight." Notte's jaw ticked, she was clenching her jaw.
"And we need to do it quickly." Notte looked at the boys who nodded.
"Er- what do I say if they do bed checks?" Neville asked the three of them.
"If we aren't back by breakfast- tell a teacher if you want. But till then- please- you don't know anything Neville." Neville nodded and Ron checked the commons.
"Its emptying out- most of them have gone to bed." Ron said once he got back. Dean and Seamus were still down there.
"Lets go ahead and go- while theres light boys. Thank you Neville, we'll be back by morning." Notte placed a swift kiss on Nevilles cheek, leaving a red stain.
"Er- y-yeah course." Neville mummured as Notte slipped under the cloak with the other two.
The three made their way carefully through the commons- and opened the Portrait hole, causing several students to look up. Notte urged the boys forward anyway- leading the way to Hagrids hut in the darkness.
Notte banged on the door- Hagrid opened the door cautiously with a crossbow. They whipped off the cloak, and Hagrid jumped.
"Oh its jus' you three-"
"Whats that for?" Harry asked Hagrid pointing at his crossbow.
"Oh, nothing. I- I was expecting, ah... It doesn't matter- come on in I just made a pot o' tea." Hagrid let the three in without argument.
"Hagrid, are you okay?" Harry asked and Hagrid nodded shortly, facing away fixing them some tea.
"Did you hear about Hermione?" Harry asked Hagrid who stiffened a little.
"Oh, yeah. I heard about that, all righ'." Hagrid said stiffly.
"Hagrid we don't think it was you-" Notte said suddenly. Hagrid turned around looking slightly relieved.
"Er- Look, we do have to ask you something. Do you know who's opened the Chamber of Secrets?" Harry asked before Hagrid could reply.
"What you had to understand about that is—" Hagrid paled when someone knocked on the door. "Quick under the cloak. Don't say a word. Be quiet, all o' you" Hagrid made sure they were fully covered before he opened the door "... Professor Dumbledore, sir!" Hagrid greeted Dumbledore almost brightly. Notte scooched closer to Harry, not wanting to be caught by Dumbledore.
"Good evening, Hagrid. I wonder, could we...?" Dumbledore replied, a thick sadness covered his words and his eyes were full of regret.
"Of course! Come in! Come in." Hagrid said hopefully, faltering when he saw Cornelius Fudge- a short fat man, who Notte very much disliked.
"That's Dad's boss! Cornelius Fudge, Minister of Magic!" Ron breathed to Harry who was half behind Notte. Harry kept his eyes on the men before them.
"Bad business, Hagrid. Very bad business. Had to come-- three attacks on Muggle-borns. Things have gone far enough. The Ministry's got to act." Fudge said and Notte trembled, predicting what was to happen next.
"Oh, but I never- you know I never, Professor!" Hagrid looked desperately at Dumbledore.
"I want it understood, Cornelius, that Hagrid has my full confidence." Dumbledore said in almost a warning to Fudge, who shook his head.
"Albus look, Hagrid's record is against him. I've got to take him." Fudge said as if his hands were tied.
"Take me? Take me where? Not Azkaban Prison?" Hagrid turned pale and Notte looked away burying her face into Harry's shoulder, missing Hermiones bushy tangles and jasmine shampoo. But Harry smelled of broomsticks and apple soap, it comforted her nearly as much.
"I'm afraid we have no choice, Hagrid." Fudge said.
"Already here, Fudge? Good..." Notte looked up at the sound of a snobby man entering Hagrids Hut.
"What're you doin' here? Get outta my house!" Hagrid said scathingly to Mr. Malfoy. Malfoy looked around at Hagrids hut with barely diguised disgust.
"Believe me, I take absolutely no pleasure being inside your-- you call this a house? Huh! No. I simply called at the school, and was told the headmaster was here." Mr. Malfoy said and Notte held her breath, waiting. Dumbledore turned to Malfoy innocently.
"Well, what exactly is it that you want with me?" Dumbledore asked, Notte could tell he already knew.
"The other governors and I have decided it's time for you to step aside. This is an order of suspension. You'll find all twelve signatures on it. I'm afraid we feel you've rather lost your touch. Well, what, with all these attacks, there'll be no Muggle-borns left at Hogwarts. I can only imagine what an awful loss that would be to the school." Malfoy handed a scroll to Fudge who studied it wearily.
"Yeh can' take Professor Dumbledore away. Take him away, an' the Muggle-borns won' stand a chance! You mark my words, there'll be killin's next!" Hagrid shouted at Malfoy.
"You think so?" Lucius said almost eagerly, and Notte dug her nails into her palm to remind herself not to lunge for the man right there.
"Calm yourself, Hagrid. If the governors desire my removal, I will, of course, step aside. However, you will find that help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it." Dumbledore said with half a glance towards the three invisible students almost amusedly. Notte grinned- knowing he was speaking directly to her.
"Admirable sentiments. Shall we? Fudge!" Lucius got Fudge's attention, he had been going back over the scroll of signatures. Fudge walked to the door before looking at Hagrid.
"Come, Hagrid... Well?" Fudge almost looked like he regretted it.
"Ahem! If, uh, if anybody was looking for some stuff, then all they'd have to do would be to follow the spiders. Yup! That would lead them right! That's all I have to say. Oh, and someone'll need to feed Fang while I'm away." Hagrid called out as non-chalantly as he could manage, Fang growled from his napping spot.
"Good boy." Fudge and Hagrid left closing the door behind them.
"Hagrid's right! With Dumbledore gone, there'll be an attack a day!" Ron said terrified.
"Look!" Harry pointed to a small trail of spiders leading out the window. Ron paled in response.
"Well, come on. Come on, Fang!" Notte said eagerly.
Ron and Harry gave each other a nervous glance before they followed the raven haired girl and the giant dog out of Hagrids hut towards the forbidden forest.