Chapter 6

Aanan Faanan... hua kya se kya

The button is clearly on...and everything seemed to be connected...what in the world was the problem here?

He was suddenly alerted with footsteps behind him and furiously prayed that it wasn't who he thought it was.

"Mr. Khan" His jaw clenched. How was he supposed to keep her out of trouble like this?

"Ms. Faaroqui, do you not underst..." he started as he turned around, but stopped as his eyes took her in.

The sky behind her was a vivid color of red and gray, reflecting on her damp hair giving it a brown hue. Her white shirt was beginning to become see through and some raindrops trickled down to her lips as she blinked her wet eyelashes rapidly to clear her clouded vision.

He unnecessarily cleared his throat.

"Who do you think you are yelling at me like that?" Her tone brought his irritation back.

"Please leave" he hoped he looked mad enough to scare her off without explaining anything.

Huh! Think you can scare me Jahapanah.

"No" she jutted her chin out stubbornly.

He groaned– loudly – and went back to his job hoping his ignorance would do the trick.

A couple seconds ticked by as Zoya stared at his back. She could now see his muscles bunch beneath his soaked shirt as he tried to unsuccessfully reach something with one hand while balancing his phone-flashlight at an angle in the other.

She knew it was a bad idea the minute she took a step closer. The zing she felt as soon as her hand touched his, the swarm of butterflies that appeared when he stared back in her eyes.

She took the phone from his hand silently and tried to disregard his intense stare on her.

How can you even feel cold and hot at the same time?

She watched him get back to work and her thoughts drifted back to their almost kiss. She found herself fantasising these days... fantasies that included a pair of lips and heated breaths. She had always been aware of him. It was hard not to be...given he always breathed fire in her direction. But ever since her admission to herself, it was becoming worse and worse.

She had been relieved when phuphi came knocking on the door that blessed day, god knows what alien reaction he would have pulled after they...?

Maybe even banishing her besharam self from his tehzeeb-yafta kingdom. But right now, with him mere breaths away, it was all regret. Definitely regret.

Asad felt her gaze on him and turned his face a smidge to look at her. She was close...close enough to know her breathing had gotten shallow...and he knew he shouldn't have made the mistake of looking in her eyes. Those big brown eyes. So innocent yet so powerful.

His gaze travelled the same path his fingers had begged to voyage for who knew how long. It was deja vú all over again.

Her eyes travelled to his lips too and he felt something tug at his heart strings.

What was this woman doing to him?

He had just stepped closer ready to take her in his arms– his mind already gleeful at the prospect of feeling her warmth...those lips– when it happened.

"Asad?"

Asad and Zoya looked at each other with horror struck eyes snapping out of the daze they had both slipped in.