Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Beri piya...bada bedardi

The news broke soon after.

Aapi was the most excited from the lot. Her Zoya coming back home after so long. She had a million things on her to-do list to welcome the newlyweds.

It was decided. The walima was going to take place in New York. Their two weeks of honeymoon would be enough time to set up. And she could show Khala and Najma around too. Mashallah! Damaad ho to aisa! How easily he had included them all.

She emptied rest of the contents from the suitcase and saw Zoya carrying over a heap of jeans to pack.

"Zoya, you are not going to need so many. Leave some space for other stuff too"

"Aapi, how am I supposed to know which one I want to wear?"

"Just listen to me, would you. I have something for you"

"What?" Zoya jumped to her side excited.

Zeenat quietly handed her a bag before getting back to her job of removing half the jeans from the big pile.

"Umm...Aapi, what exactly is this?" Zoya asked, her voice horrified.

"It's your honeymoon gift. Wahan bhi apne tomboy kapde mat pehne baith jana" Zeenat answered at once.

A burst of loud and hearty laughter forced her to look at her baby sister.

"What" she asked conscious.

"Ling...lingerie... you got me lingerie" Zoya managed to spit out between her raucous laughs. "Oh, aapi" she exclaimed clutching her stomach "You have grown, haven't you"?

"What are you implying, young lady?"

Zoya raised her eyebrows knowingly and broke into another round of laughter, her Aapi joining in this time.

She remembered the time when Aapi refused to have 'the talk' with her. When Lucas from seventh grade had tried to hold her hand, she had thought she was going to get pregnant. There were tears, tissues and a runny nose. And when she had come home crying, her Aapi still wouldn't elaborate. Poor Jeeju had to take the brunt. He had managed to find a kid appropriate way for the birds and bees talk.

Looking at the lacy piece of black in her hand, she looked at her proud. See how far we've come! But just couldn't resist herself from saying,

"Aapi, I don't think they are going to take a whole lot of space in the bag...or me"

"Lahaul- vila- kuwwat, Zoya"

xx

He almost slammed the door to his house as he walked into it.

What a bunch of morons! He leaves the office unattended for one week and comes back to a pile of horrid unorganized mess. It's like they couldn't get anything done without him there.

What did he even pay them for?

"Aagaye Asad, coffee banau" his Ammi called out

"Please Ammi"

He massaged his pounding head with his knuckles just before he opened the door to his room. A crease appeared between his brows as he looked with disdain at its condition.

There was a suitcase propped directly on the bed – not even any additional measure taken to protect the bedsheet. There were clothes splayed everywhere and an army of shoes patrolled on the floor.