Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Tum hi ho...chaen bhi mera dard bhi

.

.

.

'Aap mere liye bilkul galat hai'...

'Culture ki boundaries kya hai'....

'I wouldn't permit you'...

Fury vibrated through her being as his words spun in her mind. Something snapped inside her and she had to grip her hands together to prevent herself from wringing them.

"What did you just say to me? Permit? You wouldn't permit me wearing clothes like that." Her voice shook with barely repressed rage.

"How dare you and who are you?" Zoya shouted "You don't have the slightest right to make decisions about what I should and shouldn't put on my body.

And clothes like what huh...clothes like what? It's just a skirt for crying out loud. Hamara culture itna kamzor hai ki mere skirt pehne se khatam ho jayega"

Asad had just been ready to retort when he was warned by Zoya's finger mid-air "Meri baat abhi khatam nahi hui"

"Why?... just why did you marry me then? If I am so characterless in your eyes"

"ZOYA" he reprimanded. Her tears tugged at something in his heart

"Maine kaha na meri baat khatam nahi hui hai" she yelled equally as loud, face red, eyes heavy with tears. Her words flowed freely. She'd had enough. Enough of everything.

"Just tell me why? I want answers from you today. Jab se hamari sagai hui hai, you have only been saying one thing. Jo faisla Ammi ka hai, who aapka hai. Bataiye Mr. Khan kya yeh aapka faisla nahi tha" she cried flashing him their wedding ring.

"You shouldn't have married me Mr. Khan. You shouldn't have made a galat ladki like me your wife. You shouldn't have bought those tickets. You shouldn't have come so close to me" she hollered helplessly, digging her finger in his chest with every sentence.

"Zoya" he said softly in hopes to calm her down. Her entire body was shaking with angry sobs.

"Don't" she whispered her tears unstoppable. "Just don't... you've said enough. I am very happy keeping my self-respect intact. You can jolly-well wallow on your high horse alone"

xx

It was madness what he had done, what he had said. And the need to apologize was fervent.

What was wrong with him? How could he say something like that to her? Yes, he was upset but half of it he had brought back from office.

'Where is she?' he found himself wondering for the umpteenth time. He had stepped out to talk but she was nowhere to be seen.

It was beginning to get dark and by the looks of the stormy gray sky about to rain.

"Urghh" he grunted "You are a moron of highest level Asad Ahmed Khan"

Her words rung in his ears, they stung him hard playing on a loop over and over.

'You shouldn't have married me... You shouldn't have come so close to me...If I am so characterless...hamara culture itna kamzor hai'

He never learnt did he! After everything that had happened with Tanveer, how could he judge Zoya.

"Zoya" he called out. Not in the garden either? Where is she?