Chapter 13

CHAPTER 13

In lamhon ke daaman main...pakeezah se rishte hain

The fragrant curtain of intertwined mogra flowers was the only thing that separated them. The buzz of excitement hummed through his veins, slowly erasing the gnawing worries. 

She didn't know but he was petrified of his bride taking off.

As she sat across him, only the hem of her red lehenga visible to his gaze, he wanted to reach out and touch her. Just for a second, just to confirm she wasn't a figment of his wishful imagination.

She's here, it's happening, his heart and mind chanted over and over.

All these days, those three magical words had tried to tip-toe their way out. But a little something had kept him at bay.

He'd seen it ­– the flash of desire...the strange want he felt – he'd seen it pass in her eyes too. Every time he inched closer; he witnessed her pulse jump.

The sangeet rehearsals had disclosed her secrets.His arms held her so close that his heart had felt hers, wildly beating like a thundering rumble. 

Although, her lack of participation through the rituals and unsettling silence had the family struggling to find their own theories; the increasing need also mirrored in her clear eyes.

She's just nervous...

It's a big step, she must be processing it...

Maybe she realized she would not see her Aapi and Jeeju often...

It felt like they all sat in a circle to analyse as soon as she left the room. Whatever her reason might be, there was only one thing that had stopped Asad from backing out.

Her scrambled nerves.

If she made him want, then he made her nervous. Good nervous. His presence affected her; his touch made her tremble ­– much like hers made him burn.

Looking back at it, he understood his pathetic need to stay mad. The unexplained force that she reeled his stubborn heart in had bothered him. Asad Ahmed Khan had fell in love and the intensity of his helplessness left him breathless. So, he raged and fumed. Thundered and smoldered.

But now that the haze of anger had cleared and acceptance settled in, fear took its place.He had told her she was a misfit when in reality he felt incapable.

Although his Ammi had managed to push them closer in the last week, no declaration left his terrified lips.

Asad had no idea how he would react if she were to refuse his heart. Would he drop at her feet and plead her to be in his life? Would he let her leave no questions asked?

How could he possibly convince her that life would be a bed of roses with him, when he knew it won't.

So, he kept his mouth shut.

While Zoya's silence melted all his thoughts of a confident confession away, that flicker of awareness in her eyes kept him equally close.

Emotionally challenged. She had correctly diagnosed him.

His tangled gut relaxed now as he felt the challenge easing.

The whisper of 'qubool hai' on her lips brought solace and bliss unmatched. Yes, it wasn't a bed of roses, but as he proudly admitted his love in front of his God and the world, he promised from this moment on he would make certain ­it would be­ – for her...