Final chapter

Chapter 20

Tum ho... saath mere... paas mere

He looked down at the drink in his hands, willing for it to finish and then back up at his wife. There she was, mingling with her friends, laughing with her head thrown back.

A smile slipped through.

She looked resplendent in the sparkling beige saree paired with some red roses in her hair.

His head quickly came up with ways of getting them out of her hair.

Asad sighed.

People were taking much too long for his liking. Granted he had loved meeting her classmates, colleagues, acquaintances – everyone who gave him more insight into her life before him. But he was on the verge of hiding her under his coat and running off as far as possible.

How did she even know this many people? Their backyard was like a sold-out concert.

"Asad ao beta, come meet Mr. Harrison" Jeeju called.

"Jee" he sulked trying not to frown.

Ah! the two shiny gold toys on display for everyone. Incredibly foolish!

The only time he's had the pleasure of holding his wife was during their embarrassing walima dance routine. It had thrown him back into the golden memories of their sangeet.

And just like that, the world around them had misted to a blur.

He had wondered back then – what it would be like to dance with her; no secrets amid. They had moved effortlessly both times, feelings surging, fingers tingling.

But her brown eyes weren't glistening then, they were careful. Quivering lips hadn't graced the smile that lit up his universe; her face gleaming with his love had been missing.

The capiz lanterns suspended from tree limbs in the dark night were nothing compared to her bewitching kohl eyes; for they smoldered darker and glittered brighter.

He reminisced watching her hair bounce with each move, each sway. He wouldn't be lying if he said he woke up in wonder on the daily, thanking his stars.

Asad gazed at her moving through the crowd now, and imagined her hair tangled in his fingers at a much darker hour when all remaining light would disperse.

"Nobody's going to dissect you to shreds Mr. Khan, it's the 'bride' that bears the brunt" he recalled her saying at an earlier hour. It was hard to let go of her even though they were unfashionably late.

"They will forget everything once they look at that smile"

"Just like you" she teased

"Just like me" he promised

Her gaze arrested his bringing him back again, and for a moment he imagined her signalling him.

It wasn't until she was standing at the threshold of the house flashing her eyes at him that he understood she really was.

The couple slyly slipped inside successfully avoiding any notice.

xx

There was no chance to show him around once the function was over. The newly marrieds were swamped with family and friends since they'd set foot in the house. The family's touring adventures and Najma's unending shopping spree stories were just the beginning of their wonderful chaos.

Zoya picked up the framed photo set on her bedside table, Aapi and Jeeju smiling back at her reflection.

Oh, how she was going to miss them!