Chapter 11

Chapter 11

"O Mere Dil Ke Chein... Chein Aye Mere Dilko Dua Kijiye"

The fairy lights twinkled and gleamed as the evening star took upon the sky. The aroma of roses lingered in the air as his eyes tangled with that flash of pink again. He watched her move through the crowd, mingle with guests. Her eyes lit up as she laughed openly.

She was so beautiful tonight!

The light pink saree – he had gifted her, and she had graciously accepted; the matching roses in her messy bun – he had shyly but lovingly adorned her with. The girls had ooh'd and aah'd at the sight of groom embellishing the bride-to-be with floral jewellery.

Jashn-e-bahaar, his ammi had explained. Eh! As long as he got to look into those big brown eyes...

She still hadn't said anything­– not anything of value that is. He had heard her having an hour-long debate with her Aapi about recycling!...

...but no... nothing to him.

Countless hours had turned to days...there were no mindless arguments, no Allah Miyan's, no reprimanding his– as she put it –dinosaur aged personality.

He was being resisted like the plague.

Only when they were forced to be in the same room for a ritual did she fully look at him, acknowledged him, and sometimes murmured something.

Dinosaur Ahmed khan– he had heard her mutter this morning –when Najma's proposal of partying with her friends hadn't undergone his approval.

His mind and heart bewitched; his yearning gaze followed her figure again.

He couldn't help but wonder...what on earth made him even consider that she belonged to anyone else but him!

The way she floated through the room...hosting his friends and family, her care and concern for them...just like his. It was a sign she had accepted she was family – without his emotionally challenged mouth conveying it – and for that he was grateful.

Agreed, he was irked by the appreciative glances some of his male staff threw at her. But the satisfaction of introducing her as his bride was unmatched. He had let his hand linger a little longer around her waist. The sudden hitch in her breath and straightening of her spine sent his heart soaring.

"Bhaijaan" one of Najma's friend called out.

Asad snapped out of his haze.

"Jee"

"Hum soch rahe the ki nikaah ke baad aap Zoya bhabhi ko kaise bulayenge"

Oh! He hated this part. Nobody teased her but suddenly he was being slow roasted to torment.

"Mrs. Khan?" she questioned.

"Mrs. Faaroqui Khan?" Najma piped in

"Ya Meri Jaaaan" some aunty in the back guffawed.

Zoya looked back to see Asad hide his red face in embarrassment as the crowd split in fit of giggles

The besharam aunty parade again...

She chuckled. For a hyper conservative mahaul, they sure knew how to have fun. Her groom didn't know but she was being subjected to some very bawdy jokes on the daily. And apparently her suhagraat was number one thing on their agenda.

Her eyes locked with his and she looked away in a hurry.

Only if the aunties knew about her raunchy dreams that included a vision of six packs, they would go into hiding themselves...but not before her sharmeela shauhar-to-be. Not fair Allah Miyan! Not fair.