Chapter 17

Chapter 17

"Tune chua aaj aise...Main kya se kya bangayi"

She had always thought raindrops were poetry in motion. Today her heart testified it. Her fingers caressed his cheek– the flickering streetlight crafting hypnotic shadows on his handsome face.

Rain poured around them chaotically drowning all sound. He inched closer to listen as Zoya whispered, "You are impossible Jahapanah."

His short-startled laugh ran over the back of her neck. Butterflies swarmed. Pulse quickened. Her skin was icy, feet frozen from the downpour but somehow, she was warm.

She hadn't said anything but Asad understood. Her head titled just fraction of a centimeter into his touch.

It was another kind of answer.

He took off his coat cocooning her trembling figure.

"Ghar chale, Mrs. Khan" He wasn't talking about just the walk back home and Zoya knew it.

She nodded smiling.

They strode back hand in hand under the cover of black, thundering sky. Their hearts finally felt at peace, but with a thrill of excitement underneath.

As they were about to enter, Asad turned towards Zoya "It might be a ridiculous excuse, but I've always been protective of Ammi and Najma and...you." She nodded knowingly "I guess I never tried to see things from your perspective before, but I do now...You're high up here Zoya" he gestured raising his hand above the level of his head.

He needed to tell her he never thought of her in any lowly manner. That her questioning her worth over him made him sick. All that anger was a mere shadow of his inability to think rational around her.

"I know, and I promise that I would attempt to understand your point of view as well" she murmured sincerely.

Asad beamed like a full moon as he held the door open for her.

xx

"Zoya? Asad? What is going on?" Dilshad questioned as soon as they stepped in, her features dancing with worry. Najma had filled her in, and she knew of his son's mercurial temper. She could only hope he hadn't done any permanent damage.

The drenched couple looked at each other trying to figure how to start when Aapi interrupted.

"Ya Allah! Why in the world are you wearing that thing in the streets of Bhopal?"

Zoya's gaze skittered from Asad's perplexed face to her Aapi's furious one.

Can a girl not wear a skirt in peace around here? And why was Aapi throwing a fit. She hadn't stopped her in U.S.

"Miss Zoya Faaroqui" Aapi's pitch raised.

"Mrs. Khan" Asad and Zoya corrected simultaneously. Dilshad relaxed a little.

"Fine, Mrs. Khan, Aap batayengi ki aap adhi raat ko itne toofan main ye skirt pehan ke kyu nikli hai"

"Zeenat" Anwar soothed trying to placate his wife.

"I got hot" Zoya muttered lamely. Asad had to physically force his lips from curving.

"Zoya, do you not understand this is India not U.S. Kuch hojata toh. You are a married woman now for goodness sake"

Allah Miyan! What was wrong with everyone?

"Hua toh nahi na. And what does me being married have to do with any of this Aapi. Also, this is a free country if I must remind you" Zoya answered just as sternly. Her anger was bubbling back.