Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Jaadu hai nasha hai...madhoshiyaan

Paris was a vivid blur – beautiful, bewitching, indelible. Zoya lay tangled in the sheets looking at the chandelier that hung from the ceiling of their hotel room. Well, suite really. She was still in awe of the stops her husband had pulled in such a short time. She knew he fended well for himself and family but she had no idea he was this rich.

She snuck out of bed and into the balcony, enjoying the cold evening breeze and the glittering sight of Eiffel tower.

"You take your name much too seriously" she'd muttered astounded when she had first seen the view.

"Jahapanah needs to keep his pride intact after all, especially when his begum walks beside him" Pleased, she had planted a big one on him. She was loving the new besharam, sassy version of him.

And besharam indeed...

He had taken her sight-seeing for all of one day.

"You do know Paris dekhna mere bachpan ka sapna hai, right?"

"What about all my sapna's?" was his wonderful reply

"What exactly do you think we have been doing for the last six days?"

"I don't think the grown- up Zoya minded. Not even a bit." He was smug enough to relish in her blush.

His strong arms snaking around her waist brought her back.

They both sighed, content, marvelling at the countless shades of purple and orange the setting sun had painted.

"Order – in tonight?" he said nuzzling her neck

"Mr. Khan" she laughed turning around

"Well stop roaming around in my shirt then... Just my shirt" he eyed her head to toe

"I have a day planned for us tomorrow"

He kissed her gently "Whatever you say"

The next morning, she eyed him from across the table as they sat in a quaint patisserie of his choosing.

Her husband was a man of his word, she found out. He hadn't misbehaved once much to her annoyance.

"You wanted to sight-see, what's with the long face?" he asked as he sipped his coffee.

"I miss the romantic you"

"I am the romantic me"

"No, I mean the other one" she added cheekily, her foot grazing the hem of his pants.

"Zoya we're in public" Asad said scandalized even though six different things skimmed through his head.

"Don't worry husband, I am just happy you don't make me wear a six- inch ghunghat while we're doing it...or better yet wear one yourself"

"MRS. KHAN"

xx

From her seat they had a view of the twinkling streetlights.

She fidgeted adjusting the sleeves of her dress nervously. As Asad pulled out a chair for her, she took a moment to drink in the fragrant air and the ambient music. The restaurant was vacant enough to easily out-tune the buzz of conversation into background. It was a good choice, she thought satisfied.

She would talk to him tonight.

No doubt Asad was a loving, doting husband – she woke up pinching herself these days, to make sure it wasn't all a dream. But he had grown up different; contrasting principles and an imperative need to revisit his ideology on female independence was a perpetual war.