.16

STILL
"
THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM"

THE LIGHT breeze blew through Natalia's hair as she sat outside of the barn watching the child play

THE LIGHT breeze blew through Natalia's hair as she sat outside of the barn watching the child play. It was peaceful out here, very peaceful. She had lost hope places like this existed throughout the war but now, well, now she has hope more will be found. 

"You know, I never really believed what they say about you." Cara said as she sat down beside Natalia.

"What do they say about me?" Natalia asked as she raised her left brow slightly.

"That you were the peaceful General."

"What?" Natalia asked as a confused look formed over her face.

"Mando told me about your attempt to negotiate." Cara said with a small shrug. "Word went around during the war you had tried to negotiate before almost every battle."

"Violence isn't always the answer." Natalia said with a small shrug.

"Is it true you tried to talk it out with Darth Vader?" Cara asked with a small smile.

"Yes." Natalia said, a small frown beginning to form over her face. "But it didn't end well."

"I could only imagine such. He was the cruelest man in the galaxy."

"He wasn't." Natalia said as she looked down to her hands. 

"What do you mean he wasn't?" Cara asked with a confused look.

"I used to believe he was. Hell, I used to think Luke to be insane for thinking there was good in him." Natalia admitted. "But before he was Darth Vader he was a man scared to let go of the ones he loved. He was corrupted by the Emperor."

"You knew him?" Cara asked.

"Not personally. But I've heard the stories." A small smirk began to form on her face. "Dad used to always tell me my father would have made him my uncle."

"Darth Vader?" Cara asked, a look of surprise taking over that of confusion. 

"No." Natalia said with a small shake of her head. "Anakin Skywalker."

"Can I have a word with you?"

Natalia looked up to see the Mandalorian standing beside her. "You fine watching the kid?" Natalia asked as she looked over to Cara. 

"Go." Cara said with a small nod.

Natalia got up from the step and followed the Mandalorian in silence until they reached the ponds near the edge of the village. "It's very nice here." The Mandalorian finally broke the silence. 

"Yes." Natalia said with a small nod. "It's what we need right? At least for a little while."

"Yes." What Natalia guessed to be a sigh came from the Mandalorian. "For the two of you."

"What do you mean?" Natalia asked as she raised her left brow slightly.

"I can't stay here with you and the kid. That attack on a planet this quiet had to cause attention and word get's around fast. It's better if I go around and you two stay here where it's safe." The Mandalorian explained.

"No, I can't stay here forever." Natalia argued. "I have a family, people who need me."

"You'll be safe here, both of you." 

"I have a life outside of you and the child." Natalia folded her arms. "Okay, my dad is getting old, Mando, too old and my friend is getting really, really sick. They're gonna die soon and I can't not be there." 

"I understand but you're not safe out there, Natalia. Bounty hunters are going to be on your tail until your dead or turned in. They won't find you here." The Mandalorian argued.

"Are you even listening to me?!" Natalia yelled. "I don't care about the hunters! My friend is dying and her son is going to have to grow up without a mother! My dad can hardly walk! I have to be there when it happens, okay. I have to say goodbye."

Before anyone could say another word a gunshot suddenly pierced the air. The Mandalorian quickly pulled Natalia behind him, stepping in front of her to use his body as a shield. The children's screams quickly followed after the shot and the birds resting on the fences flew away in a hurry. Natalia's eyes widened and she looked behind her to see where the shot hit but nobody seemed to be inured.

"It came from the woods." The Mandalorian said.

Natalia pulled out her blaster and took off running into the woods, the Mandalorian beside her. A faint beeping suddenly caught Natalia's attentions and she followed the sound as it grew louder and louder. When she finally reached a clearing in the woods she found Cara standing over what Natalia assumed to be a now dead man with her blaster drawn. The Mandalorian used his foot to roll the guy over to see a tracking fob attached to his belt. Natalia bent over and picked up the small device, causing the beeping to increase rapidly.

"Who's he tracking?" Cara asked as Natalia dropping the fob on the ground and smashed it with her foot.

"The kid and I." Natalia said as she put her blaster in the holster strapped to her thigh.

"We're not safe here anymore." The Mandalorian stated.

"They know they're here?" Cara questioned.

"Yes." The Mandalorian answered.

"Then they'll keep coming." Cara said as she looked to Natalia.

"Look's like we'll be headed to the Solo's after all." Natalia said as she patted the Mandalorian's shoulder. "Don't worry, Leia will protect you from Han."

"Protect me?" The Mandalorian asked.

"Don't think I've forgotten the bounty ordeal." Natalia said with a small smirk. "Han's not gonna like it very much."