INTOXICATED

Third Person

While Zaisha was setting the dining table for dinner, Abhay was speaking to his coach on the phone.

"What's up?" Zaisha asked, once Abhay got off the call.

"Two more series, the World Cup and then I retire." Abhay smiled.

Zaisha knew this was coming so she wasn't surprised or shocked by his statement.

"Are you being pressurised to retire or-"

Abhay cut her off.

"No. No. I want to retire. I've played for the country for almost 22 years and I'm satisfied with it. Sab log bol rahe hai don't retire." He said, chuckling at the last sentence.

"But I want to. There are a lot of young players who play better than me and I don't want to keep their spot occupied. Toh World Cup ke baad mai retire ho raha hu. And it's time to give my family the time they deserve." He added, smiling.

Zaisha smiled back at him.

"Kiara, Rohan, neeche aajao. Dinner is ready." Zaisha shouted from downstairs.

Within minutes both the kids came running downstairs and sat at the table.

"How many times do I tell you guys? Do not run down the stairs." Zaisha said, glaring at her kids.

"I definitely like the younger version of you than the older one." Rohan commented, making Abhay and Kiara laugh.

Zaisha playfully smacked his head, chuckling herself.

Just as Zaisha was about to sit on the chair, the door bell rang.

"I'll get it." She said.

Kiara and Rohan exchanged a look.

"No, mom! Sit." Said Rohan, pulling Zaisha back to her seat.

"No, I'll get it." Kiara said, racing towards the main door.

Kiara opened the door and one of the security guards handed the cover, which contained two cakes, over to her.

She thanked him, before closing the door. While Rohan was busy distracting both his parents, Kiara ran up the stairs and into their room to keep the cakes in their mini fridge.

"Kaun tha?" Asked Abhay, once Kiara sat back at the table.

"Koi nahi, dad. Bass mera ek dost aaya tha to hand me my notes back. Utna hi." She said, smiling.

"You could've invited him in." Zaisha spoke.

"Yeah, but he was in a hurry, so..." Kiara shrugged her shoulders.

While Abhay and Zaisha ate in peace, Kiara and Rohan stuffed their mouth as fast as they could.

"Guys, aaraam se khao. The food isn't running anywere." Zaisha said, looking at her kids.

Both Rohan and Kiara ignored their mom's comment and finished their food.

After keeping their plates in the kitchen sink, both of them rushed up the stairs again.