Chapter 16

She was back in Wonderland. All of the people and creatures of Wonderland were looking down on her. She sat up. She had the worst headache.

“Ow, what happened?” she asked.

“You’ll never be the same, Alice,” a rose said.

“What do you mean?”

“She means, you’ve lost some important things in your life,” said the hare.

Alice looked over and saw Ches’ grin floating in the air. She watched as it disappeared.

She spotted Hattie. A tear ran down his face. The ground changed into that checker pattern and faded away and Alice fell through.

~~~~~~~~~~

When she awakened, she was in a hospital bed. There were nurses all around her. She really had that horrible headache.

“She’s awake!”

“Oh my god!”

“Wha—What happened?” Alice asked.

“Oh, honey. More than you can probably handle right now. Try to get some sleep,” a nurse said.

“What? No. What happened?!” she demanded.

“Alice, you need to stop yelling! You really need rest!”

“I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED!” she screamed. “RIGHT NOW!”

“JUST TELL HER BEFORE THE POOR GIRL HAS A HEART ATTACK!” a different nurse said.“WELL THE NEWS MIGHT ACTUALLY GIVE HER A HEART ATTACK!”

“TELL ME NOW!!!”

“Well, um, the guy that was in the house with you and your father—“

“Ben?!”

“Yes, well, he’s dead. Your father killed him.”

Alice’s jaw dropped. She felt a tear run down her face. She didn’t know what she wanted to do. She wanted to brutally kill her father and cry in bed all day all at the same time. She decided to scream. Ben was the first and only guy who really loved her. And she loved him. Her new life was over. Where was her dad?

She was still screaming when a nurse came over and grabbed her hands. Alice stopped screaming and jerked away.

“You really need to calm down! Your dad hit you pretty hard with that rolling pin!” she said.

“Where’s my dad? He’s in jail again, right?” Alice asked.

“Well, he escaped. But the police are after him. They’ll find him.”

Alice turned over and threw her face in her pillow. She screamed at the top of her lungs.

“It’s okay! You’re safe here. We’ll keep you safe.”

That calmed her down a little bit. She sat back up with tears staining her face.

~~~~~~~~~~

That night at about midnight, Alice had a plan. It was about to commence.