Bad Robbie

There was more shouting from downstairs.

"That's definitely Robbie's voice. I need to go help him because he gets into bad situations," I said putting extra emphasis on the word bad.

"How bad?" Eli asked a little hesitant.

"Like finding myself waking up in Mexico with only one shoe and all my money gone, bad." Eli face formed a mixture of confusion and surprise. "He met the wrong people, made bad deals, got me involved. Long story." I gave up trying to explain and got up and went to the door, but quickly turned around. "Promise not to tell anyone about the whole Mexico thing. No one knows and Danni would never let me live it down." He lifted up his eyebrows but then just nodded when the shouting got louder.

Oh Robbie, what have you gotten yourself into.

Going downstairs I see Robbie and some senior yelling at each other. I rush to get in the middle of them. A crowd is already starting to form.

"Hey, hey, hey! What's the problem here?" I say demandingly.

"This little punk was hitting on my girl!" the senior says pointing frantically at Robbie. Robbie just holds his hands up in a "it's not my fault kind of way". I rub my face. It's going to be difficult to get out of this one.

I turn to Robbie, "Man, what were you thinking?"

"I didn't know she had a boyfriend!" he told me.

Clenching my jaw I look at the senior to see a pretty petite girl trying to calm him down, "Josh, it's okay." "It's okay," she kept repeating.

"Look, I apologize, he's the first one in his family born without a tail," I say to Josh, but that just seems to agitate him more. Guess it's not the time for jokes. Uhm okay...run maybe? No that won't work. He'd be on us fast. We're about to get screwed. And not in the good way. I start to nibble on my lip so hard it begins to bleed a little. I can taste the tang of the red liquid seeping onto my taste buds. I'm getting distracted. Focus Kadence, focus.

"Josh!" I hear someone yell from upstairs. I look up and would you look at that. Eli looking as dashing as ever. With a shirt on though. I'd be pouting right now if it weren't for the fact that a senior standing less than three feet away from me was looking to crush Robbie's bones and put them on his coco puffs.

"Josh, come on. From what I heard, it was just a misunderstanding. Let em go and I'll owe you one. 'kay," Eli says from up the stairs.

Wait. Do they know each other? Looking at Josh, I can see he's wearing a varsity jacket. Like the one Eli has from our highschool football team. Peachy.

Josh growls for a second before nodding his head to the door with a grunt. "Just get out of my party."

His party. Robbie, you hit on the girlfriend of a senior football player who's throwing this party. Good job. Really, just good job.

I push Robbie on the shoulder out the door. Danni, Jade, Nick, Eli, and Cameron trail behind us.

"Okay," I say stopping us once we're out on the lawn, "Robbie."

"Uh huh,'' he says like everything's fine.

"I don't know what makes you so dumb, but it really works."

"What are you getting mad at me for?" he asks.

"What- what am I getting mad at you for?" I say astonished he'd even ask that. Before giving him a chance to speak I answer his question, "We could've just gotten into a pretty bad fight. One we weren't going to win because you couldn't keep it in your pants."