SIX

Bright and early they were on the road to Houston, Texas

Bright and early they were on the road to Houston, Texas. Charlie made sure to wear a baseball hat to try and hide her face. Once again she had refused to let Aaron drive.

"Let me drive," Aaron insisted.

"Nope."

"Why not?"

"Because I said so."

"That's mean," he pouted.

"It's my ritual Aaron. I always drive."

"What I don't understand is why you drive cross country if your team has a plane," Aaron stated.

"Because it's what I'm used to. It calms me down. Gives me time to reflect."

"So what's in Houston?"

"Good barbeque," Charlie replied. "Mmm I can already taste it."

"Will was right. You really are a foodie," Aaron chuckled.

"Shouldn't you be updating your team?"

"I called in with Rossi before we left. I'll check in when we've arrived. What about your team?"

Charlie shrugged, "Enzo knows I do things at my own pace. I'm actually considering just making a short rest in Houston for lunch then heading to San Antonio."

"And drive to El Paso tomorrow?"

"Exactly. It's a long drive so we'd stay there."

"As long as food is factored into this plan I am good. I have no issue with the schedule."

"Good to hear." Charlie turned up the music slightly. "What's your plan if you can't catch your unsub at this race?"

"We move onto the next one. Since Fontana to Las Vegas isn't that long of a ride I would suggest making the trip in one day and using the remaining days before the race trying to lure our unsub out of hiding," he explained.

"Sounds like a plan. I just hope it actually works."

Aaron leaned back in his seat. "Could you explain to me how races work?"

"Sure, you have three stages. Points are awarded 10 down to 1 for the first ten spots to end stage one and two. The end of stage three is the end of the race where points are awarded 50 and down. Green checkered flags symbol the end of a stage and black checkered flag is end of race. If you see a yellow flag that's caution. You'll hear a lot of talk about fuel mileage don't worry about it. It's just how long we can go without visiting pit lane," Charlie explained. "Questions?"

"Why wouldn't you want to make a stop? I get it adds time but you'd need fuel at some point."

"Right. It does add time and affects our position in the race. The rows of cars you see bumper to bumper are called alliances. The lead car uses more fuel while the cars behind it can conserve gas. Lead car cuts a path in the wind. Less resistance equals higher speed. Many try to conserve fuel by staying in these temporary alliances. Sometimes when these cars try to break away they are met with problems and if you can't control your car then you spin out if control. These are the times your spotter is your best friend."