SEVENTEEN

Aaron and Charlie arrived at his hotel room

Aaron and Charlie arrived at his hotel room. "Why didn't you tell me that we were staying at the same hotel?"

"Because I thought you knew," Aaron replied.

"You know me far to well Aaron. I go where I'm told. I have the illusion of free will but if we're being honest, our sponsors control us. I don't care about what hotel we stay in. I don't care about the money. All I care about it making sure that I live without any regrets. I want to live Aaron. I want to live. It doesn't matter if you believe in free will or if it's just some illusion. I just want to be able to say that I am. Racing makes me feel alive," she told him as she sat on the bed.

Aaron had no words. He knew she loved to race but no why. She was a mystery to him, yet at the same time she was an open book. The more he drew parallels the more he saw that they were the same. Both were caught in the same bureaucratic red tape. "At least you have a clear view of what you want in life. My job makes me happy, but there isn't much else I know. I know I want to get married and have a family, but that's about it."

"And that's okay. Life isn't meant to be mapped out. If it was then what would be the point? Come on, take off that suit and change into something more comfortable," Charlie told him in a soft voice.

Aaron began to take off his tie. "Won't they ask where you are?"

"I told them that I went to get drinks with JJ. Obviously that was not true. But they don't question my actions the same way I don't question where Denny disappears to after every race." Aaron furrowed his eyebrows. "Women."

"Ah."

"Yeah. I told you, the guys like their models and women. Isn't that what all American athletes like?"

Aaron chuckled, "You aren't wrong."

"So I was thinking," she said. "We've been able to spend a lot of time together due to this case. I acknowledge that that might not be possible once you close this case."

"I have thought about it too," Aaron nodded. "And I think it's worth giving it a shot. We both know what we're going into."

"It's going to be hard. Racing season is nine months with a three month break," she told him.

"And I have a work schedule that would make anyone cry. But I'm willing to make it work. I could fly to you."

"Or I could fly to you."

"So does this mean?" Aaron wanted to know if it meant that they were formalizing their relationship.

Charlie nodded, "Yes, I believe it does. Although I would very much like to keep the press out of it. They'll find out eventually, but for now I'd like to keep it a secret."

"I agree. It would severely limit my ability to do my job," Aaron nodded.

Charlie looked and him and chuckled as she said, "You do realize that to the public you'll be Mr. Pierce? I also do not plan on ever taking my husband's last name."