SEVEN

"You almost killed me," Aaron exclaimed as she swerved in order to not hit an armadillo

"Stop being such a baby. I had complete control of the car."

"Entering San Antonio," Aaron read. "Looks like we're here."

"Great. I say ten more minutes until we get to the restaurant. Do you want to check in with you team before we get there?"

"That would be wise. I'll just make a quick call to Rossi. We're still on schedule for the race right?"

"Yes, if anything we're ahead of schedule. I'll probably drive straight to Phoenix tomorrow, rest for the night, and then make it to California. That cuts down our trip from five days to four and allows us to coordinate with your team."

"Shouldn't you call in with Enzo?"

"Nah. I mean I'm arriving a day early so I'll be able to get some more practice in."

Aaron made his call to Ross. "Hey Dave just wanted to tell the team we're arriving a day earlier."

"Sounds good. How's it going with you two?"

"We ran into reporters in New Orleans yesterday if you didn't see on this morning's news."

Rossi chuckled, "Oh everyone is asking who you are. They think Pierce has a new romantic interest."

"Well they wouldn't be far off," he chuckled.

"Oh my god. Did you? You sly dog. Playing hard to get."

"Dave please tell me the children didn't hear that," Aaron muttered.

"No Aaron. The team did not hear that. But if we're referring to them as 'children' then who is Mom and Dad?"

"In that analogy I'd say you would be the Mom and I'd be Dad. You definitely do let them get away with a lot of things."

Rossi laughed, "Guilty as charged. Well have fun on your little road trip."

"These updates are getting a bit repetitive. Should we just check in when there's something new?"

"You're the boss."

"I'll call tomorrow morning on the way to El Paso."

"Isn't the drive from San Antonio to El Paso eight hours?"

"Charlie is tomorrow's ride eight hours?"

"Yes Aaron, and the drive from El Paso to Phoenix is six," she replied. "So theoretically we could drive the fourteen hours tomorrow and only have five more to California."

"Fourteen hours straight is insane," Aaron said.

"I've done a twelve hour Director's cut Lord of the Rings binge. It's not insane. Just very ambitious. Plus I could probably save some time with-"