FOURTEEN

Planes were death traps that flew

Planes were death traps that flew. There was no doubt about it. Charlie was in the middle seat between Martin and Kyle having a panic attack. "Would you please calm down," Kyle said as he was tired of seeing her freak out.

"You calm down Kyle," Martin said in her defense. "She's never flown before. Cut her some slack. Charlie, you doing okay? Did you take the Xanax?"

Charlie nodded, "I did but I'm still a nervous."

"Just give it time to kick in. Once we're in the sky you'll be alright. It's a short trip. You'll be fine," Martin reassured her. "It's just like racing. At the initial start it's bumpy but then it smooths out."

She understood his analogy. "Thank you."

Kyle asked, "Are you still not talking to Denny?"

"Nope. I'll give him time to reflect while wearing the cone of shame." She sat back in her seat and browsed through a magazine.

Kyle laughed, "That became a thing after Pocono right?" Charlie nodded. "Did you make a bet this time too?"

"We did."

"Oh Charlie, you should know by now that bets between Hamlin always end badly," Martin told her.

"That's why this was my last bet with him. I'll stick to betting with Harvick. At least he doesn't try and wreck me every time someone he wants is on the table."

"What did Denny want," Kyle asked. "He seemed so desperate to win."

"Since none of us actually placed first that bet is void but what he really wanted was a date," Charlie replied. "Now what is taking so damn long? Shouldn't we be taking off now?"

The two men did a double take. "So Hamlin, the one who just ended his relationship with a super model, wants to date you," Kyle slowly said. "I'm just making sure. Because you are beautiful but definitely not his usual type."

"Exactly," Charlie agreed. "We are totally incompatible as anything but friends."

"Are you seeing anyone," Martin inquired.

"Nope. And even if I was, I don't like advertising my private life. How's your wife doing?"

"Shelly is doing good. How's Bentley?"

"He misses me. My dad might bring him to a race or two."

Charlie chatted with Martin and Kyle as the plane took off. Martin was holding her hand and reassuring her that everything would be okay. Her eyes landed on Denny who was looking at her. She could tell he was visibly upset and just down in the dumps. Charlie ignored him and continued to chat with Martin.

By the time the plane landed the rental cars were waiting for them. Charlie hoped to get a Camry to herself but sadly enough she found Denny with the car keys.