NINETEEN

Charlie knew that it was only a matter of time before Aaron sent his agents to the restaurant

Charlie knew that it was only a matter of time before Aaron sent his agents to the restaurant. Yes she knew that it was their job, but she also wanted to spend time with Ryan without surveillance.

"I still can't believe you managed to pin down Denny. He's at least a foot taller than you," Ryan laughed as they talked about old memories on the track.

"Yeah well I'm stronger than I look," Charlie replied as she flexed her muscles.

"Apparently so. I'm sure the guys learned never to mess with you."

"Hopefully. I wasn't going to pull that bullshit sissy fight he did with Danica. Or his fight with Chase. If anyone wants a fight then I'll give them a fight," Charlie replied.

Ryan said, "I know that. That's why I'd never do anything to upset you."

"Is your family coming for the race?"

"Not that I know of. Maybe Erin will, but I'm not sure. Do you have any dinner plans with your dad? I know this really good restaurant in town. Maybe I could treat you for a meal? It's been a while since I've seen your father."

Charlie smiled, "I'm sure he'd love that. But who's going to babysit Bentley?"

"I could ask Bubba. He loves Bentley. And maybe I could talk you into reconsidering Penske's offer," he winked.

"Charming, but I doubt you can convince my father. As much as I'd love to dabble in Indy Car or Formula 1 at the moment I just want to focus on another Cup Series Title win. I doubt the guys at Penske would let me work on my car."

Ryan shrugged, "Maybe, maybe not, you'll never know if you don't ask."

"How is it that you still don't have a series championship or a Daytona win? You're a great racer." The question came out of the blue as Charlie found herself blurting it out.

"Well you've had five Daytona wins," Ryan said, "why don't you tell me what I've been doing wrong?"

"Only if you let me drive your 85 Ford Bronco," she replied.

"Does that mean I get to drive Remington?"

"Not a chance. The only other person who has driven Remington is my father. I don't trust him with just anybody."

"Are we having dinner in DC or Charlotte?"

"So you're saying go down to your place for the week before the next race?"

Ryan shrugged, "Or go to DC. I heard you got over your fear of flying. There is always the possibility of a road trip." 

"You know me too well Ryan. I love a good road trip. I'm thinking we drive later in the season to Talladega. Should be a fun drive."

"I'd be okay with that."

Charlie spotted Morgan and Prentiss take a seat at a table to her left and out of the corner of her eye saw Rossi sit with Reid at another table. She wanted to roll her eyes. More than likely JJ was watching over Denny. "What strategy are you doing for this weekend?"