TEN

Charlie was once again behind the wheel as they entered California

Charlie was once again behind the wheel as they entered California. She had been surprised that Aaron had managed to drive through the night. Now he was passed out in the passenger seat as she headed directly to Fontana.

His phone rang and she didn't want to wake him. "Pierce speaking."

"Charlie, is Aaron with you?" Charlie recognized the voice of David Rossi.

"He's passed out sleeping. Made him drive through the night. We just crossed the California boarder. Should be arriving in three hours. Which police station are you at?"

"The once closest to the race track."

"Enzo called last night."

"He was very adamant about his stance."

"He is stubborn. Enzo thinks I'll get backlash if I announce I'm in a relationship with someone. Most of the guys keep their girlfriends a secret unless it's something serious."

"We get it. You're a high profile person. I'm sure Aaron will understand."

"He'll get over it. So I assume you know?"

"I'm not sure what you mean," Rossi said.

Charlie then said in Italian, "Stop pretending. I know exactly that he told you."

"And why do you think that?"

"It's not hard to tell. Men are men."

"Aaron didn't mean to gossip. It just slipped. Tell me, how serious is it?"

"As serious as he wants it to be."

"Why do you have a date with another man?"

"I don't break promises, especially when I've made a bet with someone, and Aaron and I have nothing formal between us. For all I know it's just some fling," Charlie replied.

"You and I both know deep down that Aaron isn't that kind of a man."

"Well Agent Rossi, we'll just have to see about that."

"Play nice. He's not the most experienced person."

Charlie laughed, "Oh wouldn't you like to know."

"I know you. You're the kind of woman who wants adventure and Aaron is the kind to want stability. Please, just don't break him. He's been through a lot."

"No promises."

"Thank you."

"How's the case going? Do you think you'll need another race?"

"It's possible. Why?"

"Las Vegas is a heavily populated city and a big race. I'm also part-time in another racing contest. Traveling is about to get complicated after that."