EIGHTEEN

Charlie exited the Ferrari an hour later feeling relaxed and refreshed

Charlie exited the Ferrari an hour later feeling relaxed and refreshed. "Yo Denny, pass me a coke," she shouted.

Mr. Russo straightened out his suit. "Ms. Pierce, here is my business card. Should you ever change your mind then I will personally see to it that you are taken care of."

"I was contemplating on visiting Italy on my vacation this year," Charlie said hoping he'd catch the hint.

Mr. Russo chuckled, "Well if you are ever in the neighborhood then the fleet of Ferraris are all yours." Denny ran up with two cokes. "Thank you Mr. Hamlin. Now I must be off. My plane leaves in a few hours."

"You aren't staying for the race," Denny asked.

"No sir, I have work waiting for me back in Italy. But know that the both of you are welcomed to race at our tracks any time you'd like."

With that the Ferrari representative walked away. Denny and Charlie looked at each other. "Did he offer you a job," Charlie asked him.

Denny shook his head. "No. He only wants you and he made it crystal clear. I got an offer to test drive some of the race cars."

"They're luxury cars. All of them have top of the line motors. When you buy a Ferrari you expect quality. When you buy a Toyota you expect durability and a car you can trust."

"Are you going to take the offer," Denny asked. She could hear the slight hesitation in his voice. He was scared to lose his friend.

Charlie shook her head. "No, I'm happy where I am now. I'm planning on renewing my contract with JGR and sticking with the number 6."

"Mr. Pierce is waiting for you by the number 6 with Bentley," Denny told her.

"Wanna walk over there and say hi," Charlie asked him.

"Of course," Denny replied as they walked over together. Both of them sipped their coke. None of them spoke a word as they walked over. The silence was calming. After all they were friends and competitors.

"Dad," Charlie exclaimed as she ran up to hug Mr. Pierce.

"Hello honey, how are you? You're not too banged up after that last crash right?"

"I'm fine," she reassured him.

Mr. Pierce looked at Denny and then said, "Do we like or hate him right now?"

"Still trying to decide," she joked. "But yes, I have forgiven Denny. Now where is my son?"

Bentley came running up at the sound of her voice. Denny laughed, "Well someone is excited to see you how did he handle the drive?"