Black Influence on Music

Music. It has been a key part of my life for as long as I can remember. There's a baby picture of me messing with my dad's guitar. When I was seven I began learning violin. At the age of nine I played my first chords on ukulele and then picked it back up again a few years later. At twelve, guitar became an important instrument to me. I grew up listening to old music with my parents. The classics of the 80s and such. Music is such a huge part of my life and I continue to take a massive interest in instruments and the like. However, there was one bit of music history I was never taught.

Quite simply put, I owe a huge thank you to the early Black musicians.

Every genre of modern music has its roots in Black musicians. Let's take a look at a few. Keep in mind that this is mostly focused on American music, where Black influence is insanely important in our music styles today. We couldn't have American music without the Black musicians who influenced early genres.

    Rock n' Roll- The classic sound is often credited to Elvis Presley, but did you know that it was actually a Black woman who inspired him? Sister Rosetta Tharpe was a gospel singer, mixing sounds that would eventually morph into rock 'n' roll as we know it. Tharpe fingerpicked insanely well and took on electric guitar after 25 years of playing. She sang and played electric guitar and toured all over. Tharpe influenced many people who were credited with being part of the beginnings of rock 'n' roll, and they were all inducted into the Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame before her. However, we all owe a huge thank you to Sister Rosetta Tharpe for being one of the early creators of that classic rock 'n' roll sound.

    Country- Banjos and the like are key parts of country music originated from African instruments. You can find African drums from the 19th century in America. Blue notes came from Africa. So did call- and- response. Banjos came from a fusion of African and European instruments. Blue notes were a key part of Black music. All of those can be seen in country. The West African lute inspired the banjo, and after the fusion of the lute and European technique the banjo was given to white performers, despite its African roots. Slave spirituals and hymns also directly influenced white country artists of the time. Country was born on Black influence, and we cannot forget that.

    Rap- Rap originated in New York city in the 70s. Rap was inspired by the beats and rhythm of jazz. Kool Herc was an important figure in rap. His music inspired break dancing, and he took elements from jazz and funk and create it into something else. Now rap is one of the most popular musical genres today. It helps Black creators express their views, whether on civil rights, current events, or politics, to the world. Just like jazz, it holds the power to speak out and say something.

    Jazz- Jazz helped define the fist half of the 20th century. It was the popular music to dance to. Jazz was all the rage, and was played nationwide. Dixieland was the first form of jazz. It was created from Southern Black music, yet white o people were the first to record it. However, in the 1920s both races began playing jazz. This did result in tensions. While white people liked Black performers' music, they did not treat the performers themselves properly at all. Clubs, such as the famous Cotton Club were severely segregated. Black people were only allowed to perform, not watch. They went in and out the back door. Jazz was birthed in Black communities in the aftermath of slavery. Black performers used this art style to express themselves, not only their triumphs but their trials. Improvisation was an important part of jazz. Jazz was a way to express political beliefs and frustrations. Songs described lynchings and injustice. There's so much more to jazz. Jazz played a major role in the Harlem Renaissance, which I'll do a separate part on in the future.

    Blues- W.C. Handy was a major figure in blues music. Blues originated from field songs, church songs, popular music from white people, ragtime, and minstrel music. The first singers of the blues were southern Black men who worked in agricultural settings. Black musician W.C. Handy created "Memphis Blues" which inspired many future blues singers. Mamie Smith, a Black blues singer first recorded one of the earliest recordings of blues in the 1920s. Others like her were Ma Rainey, Ida Cox, and Bessie Smith. After the Great Depression and WWII, blues started to evolve. Electric guitars, drums, pianos, and harmonicas became involved and a new style of blues was born by Black musicians in the North. Blues came from Black musicians, and we cannot let the history we were taught take that credit away from them.

    Pop- Rock 'n' roll was a huge influence on pop, and Black musicians had a great influence on the development of the iconic genre. So, yes, Black influence was also key for this genre to develop. Black musicians like Ike Turner, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and Bo Diddley, were key to the creation of the genre.

    R&B- Created from the influences of blues and swing, R&B started to emerge after the migration of African Americans north during World War II and after. Louis Jordan created jump blues, which would later turn into R&B.   Charles Brown, a piano player, also used the blues sounds in his work. This all led up to the creation of R&B music as we know it today.

If you look at all of the genres of music, you'll find that Black musicians played a critical role in the development of music as we know it today. We cannot let ourselves believe that white people were the ones who created this music, because so many Black musicians' names have been forgotten. So the next time you pick up or turn on the radio, think about how important Black musicians were to the creation of the songs you love.

CHECK THIS OUT
https://youtu.be/E-1Bf_XWaPE
H.E.R. - "I Can't Breathe" - This video has footage of protests, this song is beautifully written and it puts things into perspective. H.E.R.'s voice is incredible, and the lyrics really get her message across. Please listen, it's worth it.

https://youtu.be/RSINPAJocMk
H.E.R.- "Sometimes"- Live at the Grammys. Her voice is stunning and her guitar, the background musicians, just it's amazing. Please take a listen, because H.E.R. is incredible.

https://youtu.be/AIOAlaACuv4
Tracy Chapman- "Fast Car" - I first heard this song when my dad and I were hanging out and listening to his music. It's from 1988 and it's just gorgeous. Tracy Chapman's voice is beautiful, the guitar is great,the lyrics are delivered sweetly and yet are hard hitting. I remember being worried about school with the pandemic and just the realization hitting me. I just turned this on and it did the trick. It's a very calming song for me, I'd encourage you to check it out!

RESOURCES
Musical Crossroads: African American Influence on American ...music.si.edu › story › musical-crossroads

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/24/759600717/she-can-make-that-guitar-talk

https://time.com/5673476/ken-burns-country-music-black-artists/

https://www.blackpast.org/african-american-history/rap-hip-hop/

http://nationalhumanitiescenter.org/tserve/freedom/1917beyond/essays/jazz.htm

https://www.thebubble.org.uk/culture/history/black-history-month-jazz-and-the-evolution-of-music/

https://aaregistry.org/story/the-blues-are-born-from-the-african-american-culture/

https://folklife.si.edu/talkstory/2016/tell-it-like-it-is-a-history-of-rhythm-and-blues