Marie Van Brittan Brown

It's three am.

    All is quiet, but something is wrong. You can tell by your home security system.

    You realize that there's an armed burglar outside your house. Luckily, you're able to get help before they strike with just the press of a button. All because of your home security system

    If you're curious to know who you need to credit with saving your life, direct your thanks to Marie Van Brittan Brown.

    Brown was a nurse from Queens, New York. This inspired her to create a security system, as she saw how high crime rates were in Queens. Her husband (electrical technician Albert Brown) and her worried because they would have odd work hours that weren't your standard nine to five.

    The invention involved three peepholes, monitors, cameras, a microphone system, and a button that would contact police. You could talk to the person outside and if they were an intruder, you could contact the authorities. The peepholes were fit for children, tall people, and those of the average height. The monitors kept watch for you. Brown and her husband filed for the patient in 1966. It's been referenced up to modern times in thirteen other patents.

    Marie Van Brittan Brown was the mother of two. Her daughter, Norma Brown, became an inventor as well.

    So next time your trusty home security system helps you out, thank Marie Van Brittan Brown. Without her ingenuity, home security simply wouldn't be as advanced and as useful as it is today.

    Thank you, Marie Van Brittan Brown.

RESOURCES
https://www.blackpast.org/african-american-history/brown-marie-van-brittan-1922-1999/
https://www.ipoef.org/brittan-brown/