A Celebration of Life- Tamir Rice

He loved superhero video games. He was an extraordinary athlete, who often joined in with older kids' basketball games. He could swim and play football. He crocheted for his mom and drew cartoon characters. He enjoyed Curious George and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. And he definitely would've challenged Lebron James to a game.

His name was Tamir Rice. He was only twelve when his life was tragically taken from him by police officers.

Tamir Rice was a sweet and kind kid. He was also extremely talented when it came to athletics. He would play pick up games with the older kids and earn their respect. Tamir could swim in the deep end, play soccer, and throw a football. Tamir was also in the arts and crafts programs of the local rec centers. He didn't often look up to professional athletics because "he thought he could beat them." Tamir was a born leader, and a great son and brother. He had discipline and swagger on the court, and he was a leader and earned the respect of older athletes. Tamir was one of the tallest kids in the sixth grade, at about 5'7" and weighed almost 200 pounds. He was good at shooting three pointers in basketball.
Tamir and his fourteen year old sister Tajai were inseparable. Tamir didn't fair too well with scary movies with his sixteen year old brother, and watching them would usually result in him crawling into bed with his mom.
Tamir never cared if something was "too young for him." He still loved Legos and other things of the like. Tamir's mom had planned on moving them to a warmer climate in the future so Tamir would have a better opportunity with an athletic career.

    Tamir was a great sport and an even better kid. This summer, Tamir would've been eighteen years old. His birthday was June 25, 2002.

    We do not have Tamir with us today, as his future was taken by an officer who claimed he had a gun. It was just a toy. Let us not forget Tamir's life, and let us never stop fighting for an end to police brutality.

    So, to Tamir, I love you and we all love you. May you Rest In Peace.