Chapter 9

*DORA'S POV*

-------

Mom, came to pick us from school early as always. I got into the front passenger seat while Chisom and Ebu sat behind doing what they do best, pressing phone.

"How was school girls, did you girls enjoy your first day?" Mom asked, starting the car engine.

There was no response, I didn't even think they heard her. "What!!!!!!!" Chisom screamed making mom and I flinch. "Are you okay??" trying to concentrate on her driving while I turned back, her mouth agape and her eyes on her phone.

"Kellie Flimstone, just unfollowed me on Instagram"

Mom and I made a sigh of relief. Watin dey work this pikin for brain na. Mom just chuckled and rolled her eyes, me I wanted to shove that phone in her throat. Speaking of phone, my phone has been on silence since I left for school, I pulled it out from my bag and messages started coming in mostly from our school WhatsApp group chat and all they were talking about is Mayo.

Mayo was a cool guy but I don't know if he even thinks I exist, although we were in the same class. Mayo has everything in a guy. A well built body, smart and a great sense of humor.

Shaa, why would I be stressing over a guy that doesn't know me.

I plugged my ear piece listening to 'geng' by Mayokun. That song is a real vibe.

Arriving home we all rushed in and had our shower. "Ebu do fast and come out na" what is this girl always doing inside bathroom, she dey have ancestor meeting or she dey born pikin??.

"Sorry but I can't just help it" Coming out of the bathroom in a white bathroom robe and a towel wrapped round her wet hair. Her bath gel scenting everywhere.

"Just try and bath sharp, and hafa means how are you, you'll get asked that often in Nigeria"

She nodded and sat on the vanity table, blow drying her wet hair. There was an uncomfortable silence in the room till I decided to break it. "So how's your teen life"

"Normal" she said dryly, making me roll my eyes.

"No boyfriend?"

"Na" she answered with a chuckle

This girl dey lie

With her kind of body shape, her pretty eyes, even her accent sef, upon that she come get money. Telling me 'Na', just as she entered the class all the boys don confuse.

"You doubting me ??"she laughed, as if she could read my mind.

"No" I lied, of course I don't believe her, have you met this babe?, plus all the followers she has on Instagram. hmmmm.

"How about you, any boo" turning back to the mirror to cream her hair. She has a very beautiful hair, but Chisoms hair was preferable.

"I used to" Not until that good for nothing Yemi came and spoilt things for me.

"Kelvin?"

How did she know. Has Kelvin approached her, which kin boy be this na. She wasn't in the class when I argued with Yemi and Kelvin isn't even in our class.

If by mistake this boy don approach Ebu, the kin thunder way go fire am, still dey do press up.

"Don't think it... Your already lost" snapping her fingers at my face bringing me back to reality, " I met you crying and the same Kelvin kept calling.... the emoji explained a lot"

"Ohw" huge relief.

Ebu was about to talk but mom cut us all off with her yell, "Dinner time!!!"

Yes, today is Eba and egusi, my favorite. I rushed to the dinning to see my mom setting up the table. I loved the aroma of her egusi. "I know you'll come first, were are your cousins"

"Ebu just finished having her bath.. she'll be here in a minute" washing my hands in the bowl of water to dig in.

"Don't start without your cousins and your father is joining us, he just came home"

That's something you don't hear often, I patiently waited for the rest of the family while mom washed the stuffs she used in cooking.

Make dey do fast come na

Ebu and Chisom finally came down. Chisom dressed in an oversized top that barely covered her thighs with her hair packed in a messy bun, Ebu wore a ripped jean bumshort and a croptop that showcased her belly. I just stared, if my mother gave me this opportunity.

"What's this?" mom asked who was surprisingly standing behind me, an eye brow higher than the other and her hand on her waist.

"It's called a clothe, one you wear in the 21st century" Chisom said taking a seat on the dining.

"Chisom Nnadi, if that is how you talk to your elders in America... you better stop that nonsense because I still have a cane!" Mom yelled.

Ebu and Chisom wearing a shock look. I just buried my face in my palm, this woman can disgrace somebody, she should not start with her shouting oh. Chisom kept mute and Ebu looked at me with this face that asked, is your mom crazy?

"Tes don't start with your yelling, don't treat with children like that" My father said taking a seat at the edge of the table. "Hi Ebube and Chisom" smiling brightly at them, they didn't smile back.

We prayed and we started eating, "Aren't you girls eating?" referring to my cousins, they just stared at the food with disgust.

"What's wrong with the food"

"It looks dis-" Chisom said but didn't complete her statement because Ebu covered her mouth with her palm, "We've never eaten this kinda stuff"

Is it me or is my dad stare at Ebu getting a little weird and intense. May be because he's just meeting her for the first time. "Get used to African dishes" mom snapped, still looking pissed.

"Tes don't force this children" dad said then turned to Ebu, "You wanna go with me to the super market after school tomorrow to buy some stuff"

"Can I join" I cut in, Its been a while I shared time with my dad. He turned to me sharply and said, "Stay back and study, you need to improve in your grades"

Hope you enjoyed this chapter.

Somethings up with Dora's dad

Please Vote, share and comment.

Peace out!!!!!