Sick

"You gotta hurry up, everyone will think I left class to drop an ace" Evan muttered fifteen minutes later at the vending machine.

I tucked a dark piece of hair behind my ear and furrowed my brow, "Since when was an ace, poop?"

Evan's eyebrows shot up and he laughed, "I never knew girls said 'poop'"

I rolled my eyes at this but said nothing. How on earth was I supposed to come out and ask him about his older brothers relationship with my dead friend?

"What was going on between your brother and Essie?"

Apparently like that.

Evan stared at me, a smile playing on his lips but the smile disappeared the moment he realized I was serious, "That's a very random question to ask"

"Random is my middle name, answer me"

"What the heck is going on with you?" Evan wondered looking at me as if I had grown another head.

"Essie's mom was just here...cleaning out Essie's locker and she kind of let it slip" I murmured as understanding dawned on him.

"Must've been hard for her" he sighed as understanding dawned on him , "I don't know much about their relationship, it was just one of those things that kind of started suddenly. Eli's always liked her but she's a little younger and our mother doesn't necessarily agree with the way she was raised; you know there were strippers at her parents' tenth anniversary?"

I laughed internally at this and nodded as if this were old news, "Over the summer they just kind of started talking and it went from there, I guess."

"But Essie always talked about her college boyfriend and never gave him a name, was that upon Elijah's request?"

Evan nodded and swung his hall pass around, "Probably; the only reason I even knew they were together was because I caught her sneaking out of his room one time while he was out...she forgot her bra"

I noticed the way his cheeks went slightly pink at this and I bit my lip as if this was something I had expected to hear.

"Thanks, Evan" I smiled kindly at him and he grinned.

"Anytime" he replied turning around and heading down the hall, "Hey, Andy?"

I looked up to where he stood halfway down the hall and widened my eyes, "Wanna come by after school?"

"To do what?" I almost slapped myself in the face as he stared at the ground for a second.

"Hang out? Pick up where we left off that night I had to drive you back home abruptly? Whatever you want" I grinned at how sheepish he looked and nodded.

"I would really like that"

To say that Evan looked ecstatic was saying the least. His bright eyes got even brighter before he cleared his throat and his cool air came back.

"Sick"

~

That day, we all skipped lunch per Stephen's instruction the moment I told him I had found something out. Apparently there was something more important than getting food into my stomach.

"I'll buy you something" He murmured waving Nate and I to the car. Because he was a senior, he was allowed off school grounds during lunch and I mentally cursed him for it. Do you know how many times I had been craving a junior chicken but knew I had to settle for the imitation miniature chicken the school tried to force feed us?

"It isn't that bad" Stephen had muttered the first time he tried it, "Load it up with Mayo and hot sauce and your set"

The only thing that filth set him up for was a heart attack.