Is it wrong to look through a dead girls journals?

"That's impossible" I shook my head and continued re-reading the number, willing it to change right before my very eyes, "Miranda and Essie did not know each other"

"We said the same thing until we listened to this" London motioned to Mark, who had now pulled up another file, "I was able to use some old software to tap into Miranda's, or Agathin's, calls"

"Great" I deadpanned.

"Did you find anything?" I recognized Miranda's agitated voice immediately and held my breath awaiting the sure voice that was to come next.

"No! I don't even know where to look, Miranda" Essie hissed. I could make out the sounds of drawers being pulled open and slammed shut over and over again, "How hard could this be?"

"Essie you have to find it and get out of there; do you understand me?" Miranda spoke quickly and Essie quickly sucked in a breath.

"Someone's coming, hold on" there was a soft thud, as if Essie had accidentally dropped her phone and then a sliding sound; I figured she stuffed it into her pants...I totally would have.

"What are you doing here?"

I almost doubled over as if I had been punched the moment I heard the next voice.

"Evan?" I whispered confused.

"Hey, Reed 2.0" Essie's voice shook with nervous laughter and Evan cleared his throat, "Oh! Right, you asked me what I was doing in here; I forgot my beats when I was hanging with Elijah yesterday and had no clue where he could've put them"

"Oh" I could imagine Evan nodding slightly at this, "So you thought It would be in my sock drawer?"

Evan's voice took on a new tone that sent shivers down my back but Essie matched it perfectly.

"I never know with you, Evan"

Evan's quiet laugh sounded, "Get out of my room, Essie"

He said it so pleasantly that I was almost sure I had heard him wrong.

"Gladly" Essie whispered.

The line was seemingly silent for a while until we heard the sound of wind and seconds later, a car door opening and closing.

"Either he got rid of it or he's an expert at hiding things" Essie grumbled into the phone.

"Don't worry, we'll get it"

And then the line went dead.

I let out the breath I hadn't even known I was holding and took a step back, "How?"

I felt a steadying arm on my shoulder and looked up to see Stephen giving me a small smile. I quickly looked away from him and forced my self to breath.

"After listening to this, we started going through all the possible things Essie could've been doing in Evan's room and London proposed we look through the evidence the police collected from Essie's own room, again" Mark was back to business despite the fact that I was about to hurl.

"It was basically a computer hard drive that had been smashed in, a bunch of notebooks with doodles in them, and some thumb drives that were full of viruses...but then I noticed something as I started going through the notebooks again" London stood up and grabbed a checkered pink notebook that was piled high atop many others, "Whenever I flipped through them really fast, some of them would seemingly peel at the corners"

London opened the book and, before our very eyes, ripped a page out, "That's evidence!" Nate yelled.

"No" London shook her head, "This is evidence"