ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕗𝕠𝕦𝕣

"Haiba! Did you forget what Y/n taught you?" Kuroo shouted from across the gym catching my attention.

"Y/n focus," Coach Nekomata took my attention again. "We haven't gone to the spring high tournaments in years, and we recently lost to Fukurodani. We almost didn't make it." He points to his book of different plays.

"I have to go due to medical issues. I have not told the team, but you have been working so well with them. If you can memorize these plays and keep working the way you are with them, we may pull this off. We can make it under your leadership. They can make it." His speech was getting to me, but one fact caught me off guard.

"What if they leave because you're leaving?" I asked quietly seeing Shibayama approach the bench we were sitting at for water.

"They won't. You have won over many of their hearts already. You practically have the captain's in the palm of your hand." He lifts his hand up and points at it for emphasis, "I think we should tell Captain Kuroo first. You two can tell your team." He gets up with help from my arm and blows his whistle.

The team surrounds us again. This time, however, every single one of them met my eyes, and not my leg, with a tinge of respect. It had only been two weeks since I had been there, but in that time I have been working harder than any of them. My poor notebook was covered in notes.

"I want all of you to get changed. We are done for the morning. Kuroo, I need you to stay for a second with me and Y/n." His words sent the boys to what they were told to do. I hope mine can have that effect.

Coach Nekomata took his whistle off and put it in my hands with a grave look, "Take care of her buddy. Give her the authority you gave me even when all seemed lost." He spoke to his whistle like he would an old friend.

Kuroo looked at me confused as I put the whistle on slowly. Nekomata cleared his throat, "I have to retire. Y/n... she's taking my place. I need you to help her until the boys learn to respect her the way they respect me."

"But sir-"

"I can't help this situation. There is no one else. This second year has shown promise, more than I have ever seen. Her old captain told me of her need to be in control of the court and I think being coach is the most control you'll ever get." He looked at me then back at Kuroo who looked as if he was going to fall over.

"Can you do what I am asking of you, son?" Nekomata could barely reach Kuroo's shoulder with his hand.

"I-"

"Speak bluntly boy. We don't have time for you to save someone's feelings." Nekomata maintained his smile.

"Y/n is still in school. Don't you think this will take too much of her time than it is already? I am worried she will feel burdened by us on top of her family and educational duties." His words warmed my heart, but it was my turn to step in.

"That is why we have a captain. I will keep you boys succeeding and you are here to help me. We split the load." I explained.

Coach Nekomata nodded and stood back from us before going to the group of boys who had just emerged from the lockers.

"Are you sure about this Y/n?" Kuroo muttered to me as we watched the grave expressions of the boys listening to their former coach.