18) Her Return

"I get that you closed this place down, but really? You didn't even bother hiring someone to come and at least dust?" Stefanie made a show of collapsing on Ella's chair, a rag hanging on her fingertips.

"I came here occasionally for documents and files." Ella defended, still cleaning the bookshelf that was off to the side.

"You came, but did you clean?" Stefanie raised a brow, waiting for her older sister's response. "Exactly." She nodded when Ella didn't respond, just rolled her eyes playfully.

"Just help me sweep and unbox those things, please." Ella gave her something to do just as Stefanie dragged her body off, playing some very loud Bad Bunny songs while Ella sighed.

Ella loved her sister, but they were so different, it was a miracle that they got along so well. Of course, most of that had to be because Ella was just too kind and Stefanie also just adored her older sister too much to actually make her upset.

"Okay. How much are you paying me?" Stefanie asked as she bounded down the steps of the building once they finished cleaning.

"I'll buy you dinner." Ella scoffed, locking the office doors before following the blonde sibling to her car that was parked right in front of another black vehicle.

"Good enough." Stefanie waited for Ella to unlock it before she got in, chatting Ella's ear off.

Stefanie had actually wanted to spend some time with Ella, but since Ella was preparing her clinic, the only time spent together would be readying the private business. Neither one minded, though. It reminded them of old times when their mom would leave them to clean together, which actually happened quite often in their Hispanic household growing up.

Ella was just happy that the place was clean because as the week progressed, she was slowly beginning to regain control over her days and job. Come Friday, and she had already transferred three of her patients back to her.

"I'm so glad you're back, Ms. Cortesa. You have no idea how much Henry missed you." One of the moms of Ella's patient, a little seven year old child, commented once the session had ended.

"I missed him too." Ella candidly stated, watching as the little boy wandered to the front door, waiting for his mom. "I noticed he lost a little bit of weight. Is he not eating well?"

His mom shook her head ruefully. "Two months ago... his dad came. He caused a bit of a ruckus, and I think that affected him." Ella's mouth opened in understand and shock.

Henry, the little boy, had been raised in an abusive home. His biological father beat his biological mother daily. It was honestly a miracle that Henry had managed to survive his mother's pregnancy, but then the beatings against his mother worsened. It seemed as though the father would be enraged at the fact that he now had to support another being, though, oddly enough, he never directed any of that physical aggression towards the little boy. One day, though, the beatings were too much for the mother, and Henry's father ended up taking her life right in front of the little boy. Henry was only four at the time, but due to his circumstances, he had to grow up at a very young age.

Ella nodded, watching as Henry fidgeted before he jumped back, startled at something that was by the door.

"Momma!" Henry inched back, fear written across his face as Ella moved forward rapidly, blocking the little boy from the entrance, expecting to see something or someone scary, but there was nothing.

"What is it?" His adoptive mother also rushed to his side, kneeling by him as the little boy clung to her. "What is it, baby?"

Ella, who didn't take the security and safety of her patients lightly, opened her office door and peaked outside.