Chapter 1

"God, You can blow my mind
'Cause eyes haven't seen
Ears haven't heard
The kind of blessings
That's about to follow me
'Cause victory is here
It put defeat at the door
God's doing a new thing
A brand new thing
I'm ready for overflow."
Tasha Cobbs Leonard ft. Nicki Minaj "I'm Getting Ready"

Dave

"Are you ready, David?" My eyes connected with the prison warden, Mrs. Parker. I could see through the metal bars that her hair was different today. She usually has her hair up in a high, sleek ponytail, but she switched it up to a jaw length bob with flipped out ends. I'm used to seeing this look with a swoop bang.

It was a popular style that my Momma recreated for some of her clients when they came to our house to fix their bird nests. Every female in our neighborhood came to her because she was the best around. Despite the fact that her hands and back ached at the end of the day, and some of those broads tried to cheat her out of her money, Momma kept pushing through. Even though it was the only way she put food on the table, hairdressing was her passion and she worked hard until she was able to get her own shop.

Momma forced me to come straight to the shop after school to keep me out of trouble. At first, I didn't like the idea of hanging around all those ladies and doing chores around the shop, but I changed my mind real quick. I got to see beautiful women of all shapes and sizes every single day. I also used my charm and good looks to get some free candy or pocket change from them. Life was so good for Momma and I. That was until she got sick. That's a story for another day.

Mrs. Parker has on a black suit over a light pink blouse with some black pointed toe flats. Even if I wasn't lost in my thoughts, I probably wouldn't have heard her coming to my cell since she's not wearing heels anymore. She stopped wearing them once her belly grew to a certain point. She did say that she's expecting one baby, but she might be having twins because she already looks ready to pop.

"Am I ever?" I got up from my bottom bunk bed. I shook my head as I looked over at the empty top bunk.

Curtis still isn't back from the infirmary after that scuffle he was in three days ago during breakfast. I hope he isn't dead. His big mouth landed him in that grave if he is. He is usually a chill dude, who is always cracking jokes, but I guess he just woke up that day and chose violence. This other guy, Jeffrey, was talking about his girl and apparently Curtis was messing with her before he got here. I tried to tell him to shut his *ss up, but Curtis kept on talking smack about how Jeffrey wasn't man enough and that's why his girl came to him.

I didn't believe him at first until he started to describe her tattoos and their specific locations, which made Jeffrey even more angry. Jeffrey is the leader of one of the biggest gangs in prison and on the streets. Everybody knows not to mess with him. I'm surprised Curtis was still moving after the beatdown he got from Jeffrey and his goons.

I made sure to remove myself from the vicinity of that altercation before the guards could accuse me of fighting or instigating that brawl. I didn't want my release to be delayed. I need to get out of here.

Having the cell all to myself these past few days didn't help me sleep any better. It was like having butterflies before the first day of school because I was nervous and excited at the same time.