Ch.21

I had been convinced that Fury was going to pull some crazy agent crap on me and kill me as soon as I was out of Loki's grasp. But he had just led me back to my room and sat me down on my bed. I was told to wait here until someone came to collect me.

The papers that I had been so excited about putting up not two days ago were now a tangible map of the lie that was my life. I groaned loudly and buried my face into my pillow. This wasn't how I thought any of this to turn out. Frustration rolled off of me in waves. I spent the entire time that I was waiting to be picked up trying to contact Loki. I could feel his consciousness, but he either didn't want to speak or wasn't able to.

"Hey Sky, are you in there?" Tony called. I wasn't in a speaking mood, so he hollered again. Growing worried, he busted in and found me face down on my pillow. "Answer me when I call, kid. Would ya?" He snapped. I sat up quickly and sent a nasty glare in his direction. Tony raised his eyebrows at me and started for the door.

"Where are we going?" I asked, slightly peeved. Tony gave me a hard stare as we headed down the corridor.

"What's gotten into you?" He ignored my question. I suddenly felt embarrassed for my attitude. If I hadn't known about Loki, then how could have Tony known?

"Sorry, I guess Loki's just got to me." I lied quietly.

"Oh; it's fine, Sky. We are heading down to Banner's lab to regroup and have a chat about what's been going on. Then you're off to be debriefed and put into a tactics team." He explained. I nodded in response, wondering why Fury changed his mind so fast about getting me out of Loki's prison. He could have just as easily retrieved the files without me. Maybe it was part of his tests to see if I could be considered an Avenger. So far, I was pretty sure I'd failed any tests that he had been orchestrating for me.

As we rounded the corner to the lab, Tony pulled me back from the doors. I gave him a confused look as he put his hands on my shoulders. He gave me his look of veiled disappointment. I put my hand over his and he sighed. Meeting his gaze, I saw that he was exhausted. Something wasn't right with him. I moved forward and wrapped him in a childlike hug. His arms held me to him hesitantly.

"What's wrong Tony?" I whispered. He held me at arms length to look over my face. Squinting his eyes, he nodded.

"I hacked Fury's files and stayed up all night, searching for your medical records. There weren't any." He whispered in my ear. I shook my head at him and felt my chest tighten uncomfortably.

"Why? I was experimented on." I choked on every word. Something deep inside me was demanding me to keep the truth from him. After all, Loki had been the one to almost destroy him and the rest of the Avengers.

"I don't know." He muttered. I pulled away from him slowly and headed towards the glass doors. Tony followed, and as soon as I entered the room, my pace quickened. Nick was holding what I made out to be a report of some type. Reading his mind, I felt my stomach flip. This was really why he had pulled me from that prison. I also bet that Tony had been asked to see if I would lie. Anger piqued above my other emotions as I stiffly made my way to the center of the room.

All eyes were on me as I surveyed them. Bruce had a concealed syringe filled with anesthesia. Clint and Natasha had their guns ready in their holsters. Tony had conveniently blocked the only safe exit. Steve was tapping his fingers on his leg, disguising the fact that he had hid his shield under the table. Thor had a strained look on his face, as if in pain. I searched his mind, when I felt a third consciousness occupying his mind.

Keeping a straight face, I delved in further. He grunted and crossed his arms as to brush off his sound of discomfort. As I sensed the third party further, I knew it was Loki. As I was about to communicate with him, he disconnected from his brother's brain. I mentally growled in frustration. Thor jumped from the sudden sound.