1 My potion explodes in my teacher's face

If you want to get to know me, I should probably tell you that I have a reputation to uphold. I am a Malfoy and a proud such. You could easily think I'm some kind of stoic snobby rich-man's-boy.
I'll admit, it might be true, but there is more than that, you'll see. A while ago something happened that would change my entire view of life.
It probably started already when I was eleven, when I met Her, with a capital H, but I'll start the story at the end of my second year at Hogwarts.

There was only a month left of school and I was in potions class with my fellow Slytherins and the Gryffindors. Only a few days prior had the mythical monster lurking inside the chamber of Secrets been killed by Her, Harriet Potter, the Girl Who Lived. Then she moved on to freeing my family's house elf, Dobby. My father told me about it, right before he told me about my mother.

This morning the news about my mom had reached the front page of the Daily Prophet.

MALFOY MATRIARCH DIVORCES HER HUSBAND!
read all about the Malfoy scandal at page 2

I've probably explained enough why I was not in a good mood today. On top of it all was Weasley and Potter really eager to talk with Granger about everything that happened while she laid petrified in the hospital wing with the other mud blood victims and the Gryffindor ghost.

It was therefore not in any way my fault that I had spent this entire class glaring at Her while she was chatting with Weasley and Granger and stirred her potion at the same time. They were of course quiet enough to avoid Professor Snape's eye. Or he was just ignoring them, that was also possible.

"Ehem?"

That was not good. That meant Professor Severus Snape was not focusing on them because he was focusing on me. Half of our time had already passed (which I realised after a quick look at my wristwatch) and I had not even started with my potion and Professor Snape was looking down in my empty cauldron. That wasn't good either.

"I wish you good luck with finishing today's assigned potion, Mr. Malfoy. Apparently, you'll need it."

He then continued his walk down the classroom while criticising my classmates' work. I started to panic inside.

Whoever invented the written language was both a genius and an idiot. I get the idea, but was it really necessary for the letters to float around all over the place, making it almost impossible to separate an A from an E? I've always thought that it would had been easier for everyone if the words and letters would just stay still!(I would later find out that the letters do stay still, and it's just me who's dyslexic.)
My current state of mind did not help with the reading. I instead tried to recall what potion we were doing and remember the instructions from my textbook.

I gathered all the ingredients I was pretty sure I needed. While I was preparing them I tried to eavesdrop on the conversation between the golden trio, as many have started to call them.

"The Dursley's... camp... just hoping I'll... Father has said... quest... in this fall."

They were not right next to me and spoke in very hushed tones, making eavesdropping kinda difficult.

"My dad... ministry... away from gods... just fairytales... Hermione?"

What was it they talked about exactly?

"Ancient Greece... wizarding... Hecate... failed to... rivals ever since... called demigods... none born from wizarding..."

The more I heard the more confused I got. Demigods? Like, something that is only part-god, but not fully? What was it about Ancient Greece? 'Hecate' sounded a bit familiar, who, or what was that? And, wait, wasn't Potter's father pretty dead?!

"Well, I exist... know of two more... a quest... of huge importance... my dad"

In that moment it was a very confusing conversation from what I heard. I've later got filled in on the details and now know that the full conversation went kind of like this:

Harriet Potter: "The Dursley's has agreed to let me go back to camp this summer. No generosity on their part, they're just hoping I'll get killed. Father has said, however, that he has an important quest for me when I get there. I promise to tell you about it when school starts again in this fall."

Ron Weasley: "I still haven't grasped this. My dad has told me that the ministry sometimes concerns about this stuff, but everyone does best in staying away from gods. But it shouldn't actually be much more than just fairytales. Or, right? Hermione?"

Hermione Granger: "Well, I've read the stories, of course, the gods originated from Ancient Greece and was worshipped by the muggles. Those of wizarding kind realised, of course that we didn't owe anything to the gods, everything they did, we could basically do by ourselves with magic. The gods was not happy with this and sent Hecate to try and dictate us as she was the goddess of magic. She failed to control us as we didn't need her type of magic. The gods and the Wizarding world has been rivals ever since. But moreover, the gods sometimes have intercourses with humans and have children, those children are called demigods. But there, for obvious reasons, has been practically none born from wizarding kind. The mortal parent tend to always be a muggle."

Harriet Potter: "Well, I exist, clearly. I even know of two more between the walls of this school. But regardless of relationship between species, I've been assigned a quest, it is of huge importance that I finish it in order to help my dad."

But at that time I didn't know the full conversation and was just confused. I don't think anyone can blame me for what happened next.

At the end of class Professor Snape approached my cauldron again. That was when, how do muggles say it? shit would hit the fan.

"Well, Mr. Malfoy, did you manage to finish your potion in time?"

I was almost shaking at this point.

"I-I was just about to add the final touch, Professor."

I grabbed some of what I hopped was the final ingredient and started to stir it, pleading to whatever higher power there might be that my potion would turn the right colour. But luck was simply not on my side today. The potion did not change colour, it started to boil, and now all eyes were on my cauldron. Professor Snape leaned in closer to look at my disaster.

"How exactly, did you-"

Slap-bang!

And then my professor's face was covered in neon green slimy reeking liquid. He stumbled back to his desk and grabbed a towel to get my failed potion away. Angry red marks now covered his face where the liquid had been.

He looked at me as if he wanted to strangle me.

"Detention, Mr. Malfoy, this evening!"

I was sure I was dead.