Pt. 9: I Hate You

"Don't be nervous. You're gonna do great."

Great. I nodded absently, glancing around the room at all the eager faces. Shit. I should have been paying closer attention. I normally get out of these weekly staff meetings at the magazine because I'm freelance, but my editor thinks my article idea might earn me a spot on staff.

If only.

I enjoyed my little protective bubble that consisted of writing at home and not attending meetings where I get put on the spot. But how awesome would it be to have job security and my own office?

"Cami?"

I felt like I rambled too much, was too incoherent in my thoughts, but somehow I pulled it off. And that is quite a feat considering I can't stop thinking about Chance.

After the meeting, I rode the elevator down to the main lobby and my mind drifted. I haven't talked to Chance since he left for work two nights ago. I knew he was avoiding me. I'm just not sure why.

I had been working on my article pretty steadily, Shayne and I went shopping and I even met my mom for lunch, so I haven't been home much. I knew Chance had been home when I entered my room and the smell of his body wash wafted through the apartment. But I haven't seen him. And I suspected it was deliberate on his part.

As I stepped out onto the sidewalk outside, I considered my next move. My article was done and Megan loved it. So my afternoon was free. Maybe it was time to force the issue.

.....

"Shit."

My mood is lousy. I came to workout, well to be honest, I'm working out with the hopes of running into Chance without looking like I'm trying. So when I spy him kneeling in front of a gorgeous, fit redhead, her eyes squeezed closed as he massages her calf, I nearly fall off my bike.

"Are you okay?"

I glance down to see Kyle inspecting my shin. I never even saw him approach me. "Yeah," I grumble, trying to untangle myself from the pedal.

"Hold on," he urged. "Let me help you."

I pouted while he tried to get my shoelace free from the gears. I glanced up to see Chance looking my way. I'm surprised he even noticed. I've been here for an hour and he has yet to speak to me. And I'll be damned if I make the first move.

"Finally got it," Kyle smiled up at me and I'm suddenly struck by how kind his eyes are.

"Oh thank you," I gushed. "You saved me!"

We both chuckled at my clumsiness as I tried and failed to dislodge myself from this godforsaken piece of gym equipment. "Don't fall!" Kyle called out as he raced to my side and kept me from doing just that.

We stood there laughing, his arm still around my waist when Chance's voice boomed over us. "You need to get some ice on that."

My eyes drifted toward the sound of his voice, only to catch the back of Chance's head as he stalked away. "You're bleeding," Kyle informed me as he glanced down at my injured shin. "Meet me at the bar and I'll bring the first aid kit."