Pt. 34: Let You Leave

The sound of my phone squawking was completely unwelcome

The sound of my phone squawking was completely unwelcome. I slept for shit last night after Chance gave me the brush-off. Even dinner with Shayne didn't help. We ordered sandwiches and I was upset enough to order potato chips, even though I knew I didn't need it. Now I was struggling to open my eyes and my mouth was so dry and the extra carbs had me feeling groggy. 

I threw my legs over the side of the bed and pushed my hair away from my face. I force myself out of bed, because I knew if not, I'll be falling right back to sleep. I wandered out into the hall, pausing at Chance's door on my way to the bathroom. I already knew he wasn't there. His door was wide open and there was no one inside.

"He's already gone."

I glanced down the hall to find Shayne giving me a rueful look. I shrugged and pretended not to care, but Shayne knew better. I didn't tell her much about what happened yesterday, but she knew Chance and Calvin had talked and I wasn't here for a lot of it. When she asked if he would be joining us for dinner, I explained how upset he was and that he just needed some time to himself. She dropped it, knowing how tense things between them must be after his father's 15 year absence.

"He left pretty early," I commented absently as I stood in front of the mirror and examined my pale face and the dark circles under my eyes.

Shayne nodded and then took a sip of her coffee. "Yeah, he was up before me even. I didn't hear him leave."

I pulled my hair back with a large claw clip and scrubbed my face clean. I took my shower last night in hopes that I would be able to spend the extra time with Chance this morning. See how well that worked out?

"Are you two fighting?" Shayne mused, stepping up behind me to brush my hair as I brushed my teeth.

I spat and then rinsed before replying. "No. At least I don't think so." I nodded when Shayne twisted my hair up and secured it nicely. She followed me to my room as I chose an outfit for the day.

"I tried to talk to him last night...hell, I don't know. Maybe he was still pissed that I invited Calvin to stay for breakfast and encouraged them to talk it out."

I held up two dress choices for Shayne, she pointed to the burgundy dress and noticed my hesitation. The hi-low hemline meant I was showing my knees in the front, but my backside was securely covered. Shayne had loved it when I tried it on for her. The sleeves were long but it was fitted around my chest and stomach. Hence, the reason it had been shoved to the back of my closet. 

"Oh my god!" she groaned. "Just wear it, okay? You could use the extra confidence."

Confidence? Mine had gone missing. I was hurt when Chance pushed me away last night. I knew his talk with his dad would be an emotional one. I could see that from the parts I had heard. 

But I never expected him to freeze me out. I thought sex would bring us closer. I thought that him asking me to be his girl meant we had broken down some of those walls he'd been putting up. I thought he would come to me if he was in pain.