Pt. 16: Settling Up

"Fuck!" I growled when Cami ran from and disappeared in the sea of bodies

"Fuck!" I growled when Cami ran from and disappeared in the sea of bodies. I snaked my way back to the bar and asked to settle up my bill.

I noticed out of the corner of my eye, Jesse was back at the bar and standing next to me with his empty glass. He gave me a cautious side eye and I sighed dramatically. "I'm sorry," we both blurted out at the same time.

The bartender reappeared with my receipt and before I could protest, the bearded not-so-stranger ordered us both another drink. "I really didn't mean to piss you off," Jesse shrugged.

I shook my head and sighed again. "You have nothing to be sorry for. I handled that so shitty. She's pretty feisty, right?"

Jesse nodded and we both reached for the drink the bartender handed us. He paid and I thanked him. "I asked Cami if she wanted to go shopping with me tomorrow. I hope that won't be a problem," he explained.

"Nah," I grinned. "I think she'll enjoy that more than listening to the panel discussion." I reached for Jesse's hand and gave him a lop-sided smile. "You'll keep an eye on my girl tomorrow?"

Jesse chuckled, shook my hand and easily agreed. "You don't even have to ask."

….

I returned to the room, slightly buzzed from finishing my scotch too fast. Sue me, but I was eager to get back to Cami and start my apologies. Fuck. This was so much easier when I could behave any way I wanted and tell the girl to fuck off if she didn't like it.

Hell, jealousy wasn't even an emotion I had dealt with much before I met Cami. I hated the thought of her with Kyle and the fact that he kissed her. And I reacted poorly to that as well. But I should have known better than to tell her what to do. She could be gentle and sweet, but fuck if she didn't hate being bossed around. 

Aren't we a match made in heaven? All I know is being domineering. This boyfriend shit doesn't work for me. Yet here I was, sweaty palms and all, letting myself into our room and just praying she would forgive me for being an ass...once again. 

The room was dark, other than the one nightstand lamp left on and the sliver of light coming from under the door. I could hear the bathwater as I stood outside and although it's normally 'our thing' to visit each other while in the bathroom, I decided against it this time. She was so mad, I just didn't want to risk making it worse.

"I'm done in the bathroom," her quiet voice murmured from behind me. I was watching the view of the city from the hotel window for I don't know how long when she came around to face me.

The room was pretty dark but I still noticed her choice of sleepwear. It was a hot pink, very short nightie with lacy straps and a ruffled trim. Fuck. I was so tempted to lift the bottom and see what she was hiding underneath. But then I remembered...apologize first, asshole.

I glanced down to find my credit card in her hand. "Here," Cami offered, thrusting it to me.

"Keep it," I countered, pushing it back into her hand. "Jesse said you two have a big shopping trip planned for tomorrow."