part twenty-five

monday eventually rolled back around, hitting me like a fucking truck. i've been dreading this since the night of the halloween party on saturday.

yeah, the one nate showed up to. nate jacobs. the nate jacobs who somehow got out of his suspension. the nate jacobs who showed up with maddy and kissed her right in front of me.

my eyes roll to the back of my head when i push against the main doors of the school, the distant sounds of everyone's conversations rushing through my ears.

i pull out my phone, typing in my password quickly as i see the same messages from saturday night on the top of my notifications list:

imessage from nate
come outside
2:32 am

imessage from nate j
look i know you're pissed but cmon
2:40 am

imessage from nate j
brianna please, don't be a bitch rn
2:42 am

imessage from nate j
i'm halfway drunk and i just drove all the way here, just bring your ass outside
2:42 am

why nate decided to pull up to my house at two a.m after the party is something i may never figure out, but part of me can't help but wish i was home that night instead of at fezco's.

i want answers. why did he go m.i.a on me after i pushed him away. i know he's not suppose to chase me forever but the feeling of being wanted literally keeps me sane when it comes to him. why did he show up with maddy? since when was he even back with maddy?

so many questions i have for him, yet they won't even get to be answered because even though he somehow got his assault charges dropped, his family's still waiting on the school board to go in and rebuke his suspension.

i feel my airpod being ripped from my ear, my eyes darting up to find hardin right in front of me.

"hey?" i ask slowly, his face unreadable.

"what the fuck is wrong with you? where the fuck have you been?" he snaps at me, already making me annoyed this early in the morning.

"ive been minding my fucking business." i reach for my airpod, snatching it back from his hand.

he rolls his eyes, smacking his lips. "the last time you said some shit like that, i found out you kissed my best friend. not really in the mood for your shit today, brianna." he says sternly.

"trust me, i wouldn't waste my time on anyone with even half the same qualities as you ever again." i fake smile, trying to walk around him, but he stops me again.

he pushes me back against the nearest wall, looking around to see if anyone in the busy hallway is paying attention to us.

he leans down, "is that why you left with fez after the party? seems like you've stooped even worse. you can go out and hookup with him but not your own goddamn boyfriend?" he chuckles at the end as if it's funny which sets me off.

i push his chest as hard as i can, making him stumble back from me.

"fez is better than you'll ever be. if i could go back i would've never even dated you. you're a sorry ass boyfriend. and i didn't even fuck him, but i wish i fucking did." i tell him suddenly, his eyes widening as he storms near me.

i squeeze my eyes shut at the sight, thinking he'll strike me but he stops once our chests touch.

"no ones forcing you to be with me. you wanna be with a dumb dropout drug dealer? then fucking go. you'll come back. you always fucking come back. but im done with that. i'm done with your shit bri." he says lowly, me feeling his every word in my body.