part twenty-six

"finally, you're here." cass smiles as she opens the door for me. she reaches forward, pulling me close, her body feeling warm as we hug.

"sorry, i completely forgot about coming over until i was on the other side of town. i rushed back as soon as you texted." i kiss her cheek, honestly feeling happy to finally see my best friend again.

things just seem distant between us and i'm not exactly sure if it's because of me or her.

"at least you're here now, i need to talk to you." she pulls me inside her house, gently closing the door behind me.

i follow her until we round the corner where i see kat, maddy, lexi, and bb sitting at the dinning room table, talking quietly.

i stop walking, looking at cass. "bro, no way. you know i'm not talking to maddy." i say, causing everyone at the table to look back at us.

"what's this bitch doing here?" maddy looks to me, smacking on her gum.

"this bitch is two seconds away from beating you the fuck up, so watch yourself."

cassie jumps in front of me, raising her arms to get us to be quiet.

"guys chill. look i know you guys literally hate each other but i need all of your help right now.

"what's this about cass?" lexi asks as i continue following her to the table. i end up sitting next to cass and kat, which is across from maddy, because bb gives me her seat to sit at the end of the table.

cass goes quiet as we sit in silence for a few, her obviously not knowing how to answer her sister's question.

"i don't know what you're gonna say but this feel like really dramatic." kat let's out.

"yeah this is spooky."

"it's not spooky bb." cassie finally speaks. "it's just i need your advice on like two things. and i need you guys to promise me not to say a single fucking word." she says to all of us.

we all look at each other, nodding our head in unison.

cassie's hands start to shake as she plays with her fingers, taking deep breaths.

"so the night of daniel's halloween party, something happened." she starts off.

my eyes shift to kat who all of a sudden looks uncomfortable as if cassie's words made her have to puke.

"i made out with daniel upstairs in his room and it almost went further until i shot him down. but here's the thing, that wasn't the first time. i also made out with him on the carousel like a month ago so i've basically been leading him on. and i feel like shit. i feel guilty about keeping it from mckay." cassie tells us.

maddy scoffs at her statement, her hands laying on top of the table. "wait. am i hearing this correctly? you wanna tell mckay that you made out with daniel at the carnival and on halloween?"

"y-yeah but i don't have to say it was daniel." cass tries.

"bitch that's the craziest idea i've ever heard. right?" maddy cuts her off.

"for sure." bb agrees. my eyes look across to lexi, her already looking at me.

"maddy's right for once." i sigh. "lexi and i covered for you at the party. mkay has no suspicion so why cause a problem?" i ask my best friend.

"yeah but i want to be honest with him."

lexi groans, signaling that she agrees it's a very bad idea.

"you cannot tell mckay." maddy tells her.

"but it's not like i cheated cheated." cassie says making me laugh.

"kissing is worse!" i speak out.

maddy looks to me, nodding her head like crazy. "exactly, it's so much more intimate. and if anyone brings it up, you deny deny deny. you can get lessons from bri on that one, she's great at keeping secrets." she side eyes me, making me blow my breath.

"according to the person that lied about being blackout drunk because she fucked a boy in front of her ex in a pool. yeah real classy." i shoot back at her.

"guys. i just, like i don't want there to be this bad between us forever." cassie changes the subject back.

"i wouldn't worry about it cassie, it's not like you guys are gonna be together forever." kat says slyly.

our heads shoot in her direction, clearly confused on why she'd say something so heartless.

"kat what the fuck is your problem? you're being a bad friend now, you were a bad friend to me and this whole new personality is seriously unlikeable." maddy goes off on her, my mouth dropping.

bb leans back in her chair, excited at the drama. "world star!!" she brings her vape to her mouth, taking a hit.

"why because i won't sit and listen to you bitch and moan about your psychotic, abusive boyfriend who you've literally broken up with a thousand times?" kat snaps back.

"she's not wrong." i mumble, happy someone else is also tired of maddy's shit.

"it was literally the lowest point in my life, so yeah. that and the fact that you're just fucking mean!"

"maddy, ever since i met you, all you talk about is your fucking self. your clothes, your boyfriend, whatever superficial shit you think is so fucking important. sorry i'm no longer interested." kat says.

"yeah not everyone enjoys being around your selfish ass. kat has her own shit going on now and she's putting herself first, you can't be mad at that." i stick up for kat. i've personally grown to like this version of her more than ever due to the fact that she's a literal queen who stands up for herself.

"oh shut up. i don't know about everyone else but i miss the old kat. you know the one that had a sense of humor and wasn't a fuckin cunt?" maddy ends it off.

the room goes silent, everyone watching what kat will do next.

"damn." bb says after a while, striking kat to come out her daze and get up, marching out the house without another word.

i turn to maddy, completely enraged at her being insensitive as fuck.

"you're a real piece of shit you bitch. you've seriously mad that instead of kat being your sidekick, she's found pride in herself and is thriving unlike you! get over yourself for one second maddy!" i yell to her.

she laughs dryly. "me and nate are perfectly thriving sweetie. you're mad because you thought you could replace me. he knows where home is bitch, there's no getting rid of me."

my body boils as i hold myself back. the petty side of me wants to throw my phone with the messages of him begging me to come outside in her face, but i know that'll do more harm than good.

nate clearly hasn't told her that our relationship was a complete lie so showing her shit like that will make her look right in the long run. he just used me as a rebound to return to her.

when actually we used each other to get our ex's back and it worked, so game over. at least that's how it should be. but part of me knows this is no where near the end of me and nate's back and forth bickering over something that wasn't even suppose to be serious.

i stand, pushing up off the table. "you know what, your right. like kat said, keep your psychic boyfriend. i hope your proud of him."

i lightly hug cassie as i walk past her, leaving out to catch up with kat.

comment!!