Cold times warm days

~ SAGE P.O.V~

I sat here in the hospital bed for the third day in a row. I keep telling them I'm fine, but noooo. Kaleb is keeping me here. He is annoying as he is sexy. I'm soooo bored. Ace got out yesterday and left me here bored until he took a shower. He did stink badly, now that I think of it, I  cautiously raised my arm. Phew!! I reek. I smell like I've been bathing in garbage. I need a shower.

" Hiya. " the preppy nurse said. She was in her mid twenties with dark auburn hair and brown eyes.

" Hey Anna. " I greeted. She's been checking up on me, she's very cherry to be working at a hospital. This hospital is so dull and lifeless, literally.

" How ya feeling? " she asked checking my vitals.

" Fine. I've been fine since I got here. " I complained. She chuckled at my antics.

" I know you've been saying that everyday now. That hunk out there and his hunkier brother won't let you leave. " she said wiggling her eyebrows. I scrunched up my face.

" Sometimes, I question your age. " I told her giving her a suspicious look. She laughed a little and write something down.

" Okay, " she said while still writing. " You can leave at anytime, at the front desk you will get a prescription for that nasty cut you got there. There is a bathroom down the hall with a shower so you can wash up. Have fun sweetie. Get better. And no football til your cast is off " she added and left. How in the hell...!? Kaleb. I growled and stood up wincing. I grab the overnight bag A.J left for me and headed out. I reached for the doorknob but then I heard arguing. I stopped, what?? I'm nosy.

" I told you, and I will tell you again. " It was Kaleb's voice. " Sage means nothing to me. She never has okay. Let's just, continue with the plan. Get the money then get out alright? " My heart shattered onto the floor. Tears stung as it brimmed my eyes.

Don't cry Sage, he ain't worth it. My inner voice said.

" Just make Sage give you the money, then we're gone, got that? " Jalen said. Kaleb didn't respond so I imagined him nodding his head in agreement. My body went numb but I still felt everything. Kaleb asking me to the ball?? A joke. Everything he did was a joke. Just to what?? Get money!? Insufferable bitch!! My breathing speed up a did my heart rate. I turned my false sadness into anger.

Sage Johnson doesn't feel. Sage Johnson doesn't cry!! Most of all, Sage Johnson doesn't take BULLSHIT!!! I slammed the door open and they both looked at me with shock.

" So that's it?? " I asked with venom dropping from my voice. " You only talked to me for my money!? You wouldn't even knew I exist, huh?? The only thing that matter is money!! You don't care, you never did. You are an inconsiderate little prick that cares for nothing but things. Greed will eat you alive!! You stupid, stupid bitch. I hope you and your family rots in hell. And I will be there, waiting. Watching. Now piss off!! " I finished my rant and went to the bathroom. A tear fell but I viciously wiped it away. No more.

*****

I finished my shower a half hour later avoiding my scar and arm. That's gonna leave a mark. I sigh and walk back to my room. A.J was sitting there with a stone face look staring out the window.

" Hey bud. " he said knowing my presence.

" Hey. " I whispered back. We stayed in silence for a couple of minutes until I broke it.

" How are we getting home?? " I watched as his chest rise and feel heavily.

" We have no home. " he told me. I was befuddled.

" What? "

" They kicked us out Sage. I packed your stuff in the U-haul so all your hidden money is safe. Yesterday, the house burned down just a hour later. Mom and dad was inside. They didn't make it. " I was lost on words. I know I didn't like them, hell, I still don't, but when someone dies it effects me. I went over to comfort him, he was crying yet I knew he didn't like them either. He continued.

" I came back for our stuff that actually needed be pack, the things in the closets, mostly clothes. I got one box, one box Sage. And it exploded. Right in my face, someone had it out for mom. Apparently she owed money, too much money, to some junkies and they blew it up. You know what's messed up though? " he asked at the end. I caressed his head as he cried into my shirt.

" What's that sweetie?? " I asked softly.

" They landed right in front of me. Pieces of their body scattered across our Cattleya's, our favorite flower. " I felt my throat burn at the terrible sight my brother witnessed. That was sure to give him nightmares. Much like when we just turned two. He had a nightmare that someone was about to kill him. He woke up screaming. Mom and dad was out late so I let him go to sleep on my lap while I hummed this old nursery rhyme. Every since then I wouldn't let him sleep alone when he had another one. He climbed in my bed when he was scared, lighting, a black out, anything, big or little. I was protecting him at night and he returned the favor during the day.

" It's okay honey, it's going to be alright. " I shushed him and he cried even more. He hugged my frame tighter as I did so. I rested my chin on his as the morning light shined in. The heat warned me physically but my heart was cold as ice now. I let one tear go down my face as I stared at the skyscrapers outside.

" Everything it going to be alright, just you wait. Everything will be worked out soon. " I told him quietly.

Hopefully.