chapter 5- together

JUNIPER

"how was your summer, june?", devyn popped up beside her, walking down the busy hall to her locker.

"it was the same. just spent it with my brother and just having a fun time adventuring. we actually went camping for a few weeks. those random survival videos i watch at 3am really came in handy believe it or not, but when i came home showers were the best thing in the world. spent hours in that mother trucker. hours, devyn.", the taller girl chuckled and looked down at her shoes, abashed for some reason.

"that sounds really cool. i wish my family did something like that, all we do is just jump in the pool and go on our phones. nothing special, really.", devyn mumbled the last part and looked over at juniper, examining her face.

"did you hear about the staff change?", juniper opened her locker and stuffed some books back into their spots and took out others for her classes.

devyn nodded and sighed, she hated that some of her favorite teachers left the school or got fired. she leaned against the lockers that were lined up next to juniper's and picked at her nails nervously.

"i heard mr. crawford got fired though. at least his crabby, old, crusty ass is gone. jeeesuuus, all the work packets he gave us and expected us to finish it over night. that man was psychotic.", juniper laughed and slapped her shoulder lightly for her language.

juniper told her multiple times to fix her potty mouth, but that would only result in more obscenities being thrown her way.

"at least mrs. moore is still here. she's my favorite even if she isn't an actual teacher here.", juniper held her books underneath her arm and walked beside devyn to their next class, calculus.

"she's still here? you're joking. that woman hates me with a burning passion. she gave me a detention slip for dropping my book on the floor. on accident!", devyn groaned painfully and slung an arm around juniper's shoulder.

the shorter girl scrunched her eyebrows together at the people who were staring with raised ones and a knowing smile.

"she isn't that bad, dev. you're just a troublemaker, you give that woman 20 heart attacks a week. be nice to her and she might be nice to you, ever thought of that?", juniper snuggled into her side as they walked through the classroom, the cold air stinging their skin and causing their eyes to water.

"that's what you think.", once they sat down devyn shuffles her shoulder out from her jacket, handing it over to juniper who was sat shivering in her seat.

the math classroom was always the room with the coldest temperature, making students leave looking like some fresh popsicles.

"thank you. why am i getting these weird looks? everybody just looks at me a smiles weirdly.", juniper mumbled and shrugged on the jacket.

devyn choked on the water she was sipping, wiping her lips soon after.

"ah. i don't know..actually..maybe you just look really pretty today..", devyn turned red in the cheeks and neck, tilting her head down to put her water bottle away.

"oh, well..then i will tell them thank you telepathically.", she smiled and gave thanks to the teacher who handed her a singular piece of class work.

"right..you do that..", devyn cleared her throat and picked up her pencil, giving an unknowing juniper a look of longing before setting herself to work.

___

"hey by the way..did you change your number? i meant to ask you a few hours ago but i guess i got side tracked.", devyn looked at her nervously and fiddled with her phone.