Chapter Six

Cas's epilepsy specialist ended up agreeing with Dean, and switching Cas's meds, and told Dean to contact her as soon as they noticed any changes.

They updated Cas's consultant, who decided to send Cas to a therapist.

'I can't give you your anxiety meds, but that doesn't mean I can't give you treatment,' he said. 'And I'll find you one that'll help you come up with methods of recovering memory.'

Cas thought of his notebook, hidden away in his bedside table, and glanced at Dean. He was running out of easy questions.

Cas was nervous before his first appointment, but his therapist seemed kind.

'Good morning, Castiel,' she said, smiling when she saw him. 'Take a seat.'

Cas sat in a comfortable chair opposite her, holding his notebook, and watched her writing on her clipboard for a while. She had straight, brown hair and round glasses. 'I'm sorry,' Cas said after a while. 'I don't know your name.'

She smiled at him again. 'You can call me Penny. Would you like to get started?'

Cas shrugged.

'I have your medical file here, so I understand what's going on there, but I'd just like to get to know you a little before we refer to that.'

'What would you like to know?'

'Do you go by Castiel? Or anything else?'

'It's Cas.'

'What's your favourite colour?'

'Does that matter?'

'That depends. Does that matter to you?'

Cas didn't answer.

'It says in your file that you're suffering almost complete memory loss. It seems to me that you'd be interested in building up an idea of who you are.'

Cas smiled. 'I suppose so.' He thought about it for a moment. 'My favourite colour is green.'

'Good. We're not going to dig too deep this session. All we're going to do is set out some goals and, if we have time, start on some techniques to improve your memory.'

'That sounds good.'

Penny grabbed a fresh sheet of paper and settled down properly in her seat. 'What are you hoping to get out of these sessions? What would you consider to be your end goal?'

'Dean,' Cas said immediately. 'I want to remember Dean.'