Chapter Eight

Cas woke up just as dawn broke and everything was still spinning. He groaned and rolled over. The previous night was no more than a vague memory of being in the bath, and Dean's gentle touch. His mouth was bone dry, so he slowly got to his feet, holding his head, and stumbled down the hallway. Hoagie followed close at his heels. He crossed into the kitchen, but stopped. There were low voices coming from the dining room; Dean's and another he didn't recognise. He rubbed his eyes and moved to the dining room door.

'Dean,' he groaned.

Dean was sitting at the table with a cup of coffee, and a man next to him that Cas had never seen before. He had a round face and a beard.

'Cas,' Dean said, 'what are you doing up?'

'I- uh- I don't...' He looked between Dean and the man, and Dean sighed.

'Cas, this is Benny. Benny, Cas.' Dean introduced them without looking up.

'Benny,' Cas said, squinting at him. 'Have we met before?'

'I have not had that pleasure,' Benny said in a slow, Georgia drawl, smiling.

'Cas, why don't you go back to bed?' Dean said, an irritated note creeping into his voice.

'I- I came for...' He pinched the bridge of his nose, trying to remember what he'd got up for.

'Cas, would you just-' Dean smacked a hand against the table and his legs bounced rapidly.

Cas stared at him. His harsh words stung.

'Allow me,' said Benny, getting up from the table. 'Don't you move,' he said firmly to Dean, before taking Cas's arm.

'Wait, I wanted water,' said Cas, finally remembering and filling up a glass to take with him. 'Who are you?' he asked Benny as they walked.

'I'm Dean's sponsor.'

'I see.' Cas swallowed a mouthful of water. 'Thank you for helping him.'

'It's been my honour.'

'Is he- is he all right?'

'He will be, just give him some time.'

Cas sat down on the bed, Hoagie sitting dutifully at his feet. 'You must think I'm pathetic,' he said.

'Now don't you be coming out with stuff like that, I get enough of it from him. You've both been dealt a crappy hand, but that don't make either of you bad people.'

Cas shrugged and climbed back under the covers. 'Thank you, Benny.'

Benny left the room, and Cas dangled a hand down for Hoagie to sniff. Dean's tone of voice still echoed in his ears, so he pulled Hoagie into the bed for a hug, and slowly went back to sleep.

He woke to Dean shaking him awake, and he opened one eye. Dean was crouched next to his side of the bed, looking at him guiltily.

'Hey,' Dean murmured. 'You know, Hoagie's not allowed on the bed.'

Cas smiled. 'I thought I'd relax that rule, just this once.'

Hoagie popped his head out from under the blanket and sniffed Dean sleepily.

'I'm sorry,' Dean said. 'I didn't mean to snap at you.'

'I shouldn't have interrupted-'

'No. It's not your fault you were foggy.'

Cas sat up, and noticed the deep shadows under Dean's eyes, and extra stubble covering his cheeks. 'This is so hard on you, Dean. What can I do to help you?'