Chapter Twenty-six

Oh, hey, I wondered when you were coming back.'

Cas stared at him, struggling to put the pieces together. The man seemed familiar, but he couldn't quite put his finger on it.

'Long time, no see, huh?'

Then it clicked. His curly hair and scruffy beard, and the thick ring he wore on his left hand.

Cas felt as though the air had been knocked out of him, and he frantically shook his head. 'You're not here,' he said. 'You disappeared, you're gone.'

His father rolled his eyes. 'Castiel-'

'No.' Cas went back into the kitchen, closing the door firmly. He grabbed fistfuls of his hair, and paced the kitchen, trying to force his brain into thinking clearly. He sat down on the kitchen floor and pulled his phone out of his pocket. 'Dean, I need you,' Cas said when he answered.

'What's wrong?'

'I don't - I don't know what happened. I thought I was okay.'

'Cas, focus. Tell me what's wrong.'

'I'm seeing my father,' said Cas, his knees curling into his chest. He heard Dean take a deep breath.

'It's all right, we're prepared for this, remember? Try to stay calm and keep breathing, okay? I'll be home soon. Where's Tessa?'

'Still at the store, I think.'

'Okay, I'm leaving now. Get yourself some water and don't go anywhere.'

Cas hung up, and cuddled Hoagie close to his chest.

'Come on, Castiel,' Chuck called impatiently from the dining room.

Cas squeezed his eyes shut. 'It's not real,' he muttered to himself, over and over

Dean found him in the same spot, and cupped his face. 'Cas,' he said gently.

'I don't understand,' Cas choked. 'Everything was fine. You didn't notice anything, did you?'

Dean shook his head. 'No, but maybe we missed something. Let's go get your bag, and we'll call Penny.'

Cas nodded, and Dean pulled him to his feet. 'I'm sorry,' he mumbled. 'I'm sorry I can't be-'

'Don't be sorry. Everything's going to be all right.'

Cas sniffed, wiping his eyes. 'I don't understand. There was no trigger.'

'We'll work it out later. Let's just see if we can get you back on the ward.'

'I'm not getting any younger in here, you know,' Chuck shouted, and Cas cringed.

Dean stopped dead and frowned. 'Wait a minute,' he said. 'I heard that.'

'What?'

Dean warily pushed the dining room door open, and Cas heard his sharp intake of breath. 'Cas, he's actually here.'

'But - but he can't be.'

'You guys got any more chips?' Chuck asked, crumpling the bag in his hands.

'No,' Dean said shortly, moving into the room and bringing Cas with him.

They both sat at the table, staring at Chuck.

'Where have you been?' said Cas, his voice weak from shock.

Chuck shrugged. 'Australia.'

Cas blinked. 'Australia,' he repeated. 'Why?'