Chapter Thirteen

at some point, and Cas listened to him talking on the phone, eyes closed, his low voice soothing.

'... No, I know you're busy with Jess, but you were supposed to... I know you didn't know... I know you didn't know... What about Jody?... What do you mean she's on vacation? Why didn't anybody tell me?... She said he'd been off, I mean, you heard about the light bulb incident...'

Cas breathed deeply, rolling away from Hoagie and stretching widely. He yawned and opened his eyes, and recoiled in horror. His own face was glaring at him, inches away from his nose. It snarled at him, blurring at the edges, and he screamed, hiding under the covers.

Dean came running into the bedroom. 'What? What is it?' He shook Cas's shoulder, but he wouldn't come out, so Dean got back under the covers. 'What are you seeing?' he asked softly.

Cas shook his head.

'All right, well, do you want to get a bag ready to go?'

'I - I can't, not w-without Hoagie,' Cas groaned.

'I called them up, and they said they've got no problem with accommodating for your epilepsy. You're gonna get your own room and everything.'

'I don't want to go, Dean,' Cas mumbled, scrunching Dean's shirt up in his fists.

Dean sighed and stroked his cheek. 'I'm gonna pack you a bag anyway, just in case. Then, how about we go out into town, and get some ice-cream, or something? Get you out of the house for a while.'

Cas nodded. 'Okay.'

'You ready to come out from under here?'

Cas's hands shook, but he nodded again.

'Just keep your eyes on me.' Dean slowly pulled the blanket off of them and Cas tensed.

He held Dean's hands tightly, but eased up when he saw nothing but Dean.

'You're doing so good,' Dean smiled. 'I'm gonna pack your bag, okay?'

'Okay.'

Hoagie jumped around the bed, wagging his tail. He'd perked up a lot since Dean had come home.

'I heard you on the phone,' Cas said. 'It's not Sam's fault.'

Dean glanced back at him from the wardrobe, but didn't say anything.

'It's not your fault either. It's no one's fault.'

Dean sighed. 'I'm sorry I wasn't here to help you.'

'Someone said something... I think it was Penny. She said - she said that you can't take care of someone else if you don't take care of yourself first.'

Dean smiled at him. 'You know what, I think she's right.' Dean finished packing the back and slung it over his shoulder. 'I'll be right back.' He left the room, and Cas heard the front door open.

When Dean came back, he was carrying a pair of shoes for Cas. 'Can't walk around without shoes,' he smiled, gently easing them onto Cas's feet. 'Okay, let's go.'

Cas got up shakily, holding Dean's hand, and left the bedroom.

Suddenly, he saw Castiel out of the corner of his eye. 'No!' he cried, putting his hands over his ears, as the figure yelled at him. 'Stop it! Leave me alone!'

The Dean's hands were at his arms, guiding him out the front door. 'It's all right,' he said. 'It can't hurt you, I'm here.'

He clutched Dean tightly, not looking at anything until Dean had put him in the car.