Chapter Twenty-eight

Cas sat in a plastic chair, staring at the cheap, cafeteria table. Sam had placed a tray in front of him, but it was the least appetising food he'd ever seen.

'Cas, man, you gotta eat something,' Sam said, pushing the tray closer.

Cas shook his head. He was dizzy and shaking, but he knew he wouldn't be able to keep any food down. Not until Dean was out of surgery.

'Maybe you should think about getting some sleep,' Sam said carefully. 'It's not good for your brain to go without sleep for so long.'

Cas didn't say anything. 

'Cas, come on. Let me take you home.'

'No.'

Sam sighed. 'Well, how about we wait until Dean gets out of surgery, and then I take you home?'

' No.'

Sam speared some of his salad on his fork, thinking hard. 'Well how about this, then. The seats in the back of my car lay flat, so I'm thinking, maybe when Dean comes around, you go for a nap. Just a quick one, and you'll only be out in the parking lot, so you won't be too far away.'

Cas looked up at his hopeful expression. 'All right,' he murmured. 'A nap. But only after Dean wakes up.'

'You got a deal,' Sam smiled. 'Now will you please eat something? If you're gonna stay awake, you should keep your strength up.'

Cas rolled his eyes, but ate a handful of flaccid fries. 'Aren't you glad both of your brothers are a mess?'

'Keeps me on my toes, that's for sure,' Sam chuckled.

'And it's what will make you an excellent father.'

Sam turned pink. 'Well thanks, Cas.'

'I mean it. Dealing with everything Dean and I have put you through will make raising a child a - a walk in the park.'

'Oh, I don't know, I think she'll bring her own challenges.'

'I'm sure she will.' Cas pushed away the rest of his fries, and waited for Sam to finish his salad, before they made their way back to the ward.

Just as they went through the door, Cas stopped to catch his breath, the room spinning.

'Hey, you okay?' Sam's voice came from far away, but he grabbed Cas's arm.

Cas didn't even hear Hoagie bark, and the next thing he knew, he was on the floor. Hoagie was sitting by his head, and someone was lightly clapping a hand against his cheek.

'Hey, wake up,' Sam said. 'Time to get up, Cas, come on.' Sam pulled Cas into a sitting position.

Cas rubbed his face, still dizzy and nauseous.

'You all right? That was a pretty gnarly one.'

Cas rolled over. He tried to control it, but he couldn't stop himself from vomiting on the floor.

'It's okay, we can get someone to clean that up,' Sam said kindly. 'Let's get you onto a bed.'

'No,' Cas said, pushing himself to his feet, stumbling violently. 'Dean.'

'Cas, come on, you're sick.'

'And I'll remain so, until Dean is awake.' He walked over to where Dean's bed was supposed to be, his feet dragging along the ground, and dropped into his chair.

'Here, have something to drink at least,' Sam said, passing Cas a cup of water.

Cas drank some of it, using it to wash the taste from his mouth, and leaned back in his chair to keep his head straight. 'Sit down, Sam. Wake me when Dean gets back,' he added, knowing that he wouldn't be able to hold off the fog for much longer.