one

the fine art of bullshit

they say heartbreak really fucks with you

maybe that was just my excuse for holding onto a bottle of tequila like my life depended on it. I watch as a few girls in bikinis run by and jump straight into the pool, then take a drink from the bottle as they come up for air and laugh too loudly to not be annoying.

"Sarah, why are we here again?" I question to my best friend standing across from me, who was searching for her boyfriend. "or rather, why am I here? my couch was pretty comfortable."

"you're here because you got dumped two days ago and we need to find you a rebound. and fast, according to the bottle that is missing way too much alcohol, damn Olyvia." she grimaces and snatches the bottle from my hand before I can act fast enough. god above, it was a month long relationship with someone who I could care less about.

"if you want me to find a rebound I will. is that what it will take for you to give my drink back?" as I'm about to reach out for the tequila, Sarah's face lights up with excitement. my eyes drift over to find Topper and his friends walking our way. "great, it's the bitch squad. if you'll excuse me." I snatch the bottle while she's distracted before turning on my heel and walking away as I hear her practically squealing with happiness.

the crowd has grown bigger than I expected at Topper's house, of all places, but nonetheless I was able to make my way up the stairs to get away from the noise. one thing I absolutely hated was crowds, but maybe that was just because girls like Sarah got on my last nerves. obviously Sarah was excluded, but only because I had known her since pre-k.

you see, my dad had also grown up with Sarah's dad, so it was almost tradition for me and her to be friends since practically birth. I probably wouldn't have had a choice in the matter, and even after my dad passed away the Cameron's had tried to continue taking care of me and my mom. Ward may give me the heebie geebies but at least I never had to worry about anything as long as he was willing to slip me money if need be. not like my mom cares to make any income anyways.

"Lyvia!" the nickname makes me look around for the source, even though I could've guessed who it would be. Rafe Cameron runs up the stairs to meet me on the balcony overlooking the crowd of people. "I see you found your favorite in Topper's dad's stash, already making light work of it huh?"

"oh yeah, this is just a normal day for me, mister dictator."

"I really wish you would stop calling me that. just because Sarah is the kook princess doesn't make me shit." Rafe rolls his eyes before grabbing the bottle and taking a quick shot. "makes me sound demeaning and scary."

I laugh a little too loud, causing Rafe to huff in disappointment. "I'm sorry, have you met yourself? even some of the other guys in the figure 8 run from you, and don't get me started on the pogues." even mentioning the pogues gives Rafe a sudden angry aura, so I take the bottle from him and pat his back. "there's the demeaning and scary kook king."